Toy storage on AGP deck

May 12, 2009
Pennsylvania
Over the years, we have struggled with storing the rafts, floats and other toys we have for the pool. We don't have a lot of deck space and didn't want to add a stand alone storage rack on the deck that we would be tripping on or that would eat up our deck space. Each year we just dealt with lugging them from the house or stuffing them behind the deck chairs when we were finished with the pool for the day. I have chased the stuff around the neighborhood when storms came through and found them in some of the strangest places when I came home from work. This year when we opened the pool, I was determined to figure something out. The pictures show what I came up with. I couldn't be happier, so I thought I would share in case someone else could benefit.

[attachment=1:kx0acos0]IMAG0077-1.jpg[/attachment:kx0acos0]

Made out of PVC pipe and fittings.
[attachment=2:kx0acos0]IMAG0076-1.jpg[/attachment:kx0acos0]

I have about $25 wrapped up in it.
[attachment=0:kx0acos0]IMAG0078-1.jpg[/attachment:kx0acos0]

We just need to place the rafts and such over the side of the railing and the PVC rack will hold it pretty securely.

It holds what we need. I didn't glue it together as it seems to be holding very well without glue and it will allow me to increase the size down the road if I need to. I was also thinking it would be easy to encase the rack in netting so it would hold smaller items. Like I said it is not glued together, so I can take it apart and store it rather easily, but I don't know if I will do that or not. No more fussing with the rafts. They now have a home.
Hopefully this will help someone out that has been through what we had been through with raft storage.

Attachments

• IMAG0076-1.jpg
    IMAG0076-1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,553
  • IMAG0077-1.jpg
    IMAG0077-1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,497
  • IMAG0078-1.jpg
    IMAG0078-1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,467
@DaneCE - We do have storage under the deck as all the panels are hinged, but we have to share with the occasional groundhog, rabbit, garter snake and black snake.The wife doesn't like the furry creatures and I can't deal with the other ones :shock: . If I go under there it is in the fall and winter. I think I have enough cover clips under there to keep us going for awhile.
@mrrodegers - Don't be jealous, but we have a green one also. :-D

I like your idea for the floats, etc.

For the smaller stuff like googles and arm floaties (have some younger grandkids) I purchased the mesh nylon "holey" laundry bags that hold laundry (not the small ones but the larger ones that will hold a load of laundry) and took some small nails and attached to the side of my deck. Great to put things in. I purchased mine at the Dollar Tree for $1.00 each. Purchased two of them -- they hold alot of smaller items. I just replace them in the spring and are good to go for the summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chdolfnz, I attached the tees by drilling straight through them and out the back and then screwing them with deck screws to the posts. The bottom ones are 1 1/2" and I also strapped them since they would be holding most of the weight the uprights and upper horizontals are just 1". This thing actually was re-designed several times and this design is very sturdy.
We know the Lampeter area very well. We are in York county, so we are almost neighbors. :cheers:

@johnnysnok, I don't think I could bring myself to attach my rack to your railing. Your railing is much nicer than mine. I was also toying with a way to just hook it over the top rail without having to drill/screw/attach to the railing. Maybe you could do the design work on that and avoid damaging your nice railings.

I'd LOVE to have a parts list for making this. :lol: We have the same problem. I ordered one of those pool pouches to hang on the railing, and it ripped within a week!! Please, please post your list of materials. My husband would be so proud of me if I could make this and install it without his help :)

Tamco said:
I'd LOVE to have a parts list for making this. :lol: We have the same problem. I ordered one of those pool pouches to hang on the railing, and it ripped within a week!! Please, please post your list of materials. My husband would be so proud of me if I could make this and install it without his help :)

Most of the parts are listed in the post above yours ... it appears to just be a bunch of PVC pipe and fittings which would have to be customized to your specific installation. Looking at the pictures should give you a pretty good idea how to put it together.

I like this idea, but we just take all the toys indoors when we are done each day. It is a pain, but the toys have lasted for 6 years without getting destroyed by the sun. All my friends with pools have to replace all their toys every 1-2 years because of the sun.

The picture and previous post were nice and somewhat informative, but I was hoping that he could give me the actual number and sizes of each piece. "Figuring it out" is not my specialty. I need to give the guy at the parts counter an actual list. Hey a girl can dream can't she!
BTW: I bought that exact pool pouch, and it ripped within 1 week. Just a thought. :grrrr:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.