Two kinds of laterals Hayward S210T?

tablpa

Jun 15, 2012
We are having trouble with sand coming back in our return. Our pool store said they weren't sure if we needed just screw in laterals or the umbrella assembly with stand tube and fold up laterals, so they gave us both to have over the weekend and return what we don't need.

Couple of questions 1) if it has the screw in laterals, do you have to unscrew the laterals while down in the filter and unscrew all laterals to get the assembly out to even see what did need replaced? 2) if one lateral on an umbella assembly is bad, it appears you have to replace the entire assembly, is that correct?

Even tho I don't know what type we have till we get in there, I was considering changing to the umbrella type for ease of removal and checking, but hate to have to purchase the entire assembly if only one lateral is bad. Any thoughts?

I would guess the umbrella style would be much easier, but if you know which one of the non-umbrella types is the problem, you do not have to remove all to do it. You do have to contort you arm into the filter to get it off/on. The problem with removing all/most of the laterals to get the standpipe out is that they tend to get brittle with age and can easily break.

How would you be able to tell which of the screw in type was the problem while still "down in the hole" and not being able to visually examine it?

And I am assuming the umbrella type, to replace one lateral you would need to replace the whole unit?

Sometimes you can see which one with a flashlight in there and angling the standpipe around or by feel. You will need all (almost all) of the sand out to do this. I am pretty sure you can replace individual laterals on the umbrella type.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.