pool cover key

Jul 14, 2011
So this morning I am having my daughter help me get everything ready for swimming, I tell her to go turn the key to uncover on our cover pools pool cover, well apperntatly she has been exercising to much and she broke the key. SO my question is where can I get a replacment key? I sent an email to cover-pools in SLC, but I was hoping to use the pool on Monday. I checked the local hardware stores and they dont have anything that would work. Do I just wait for a response?

I am assuming that this is a regular keyed electrical switch like one used to find with garage doors and some alarm systems, if so, call the LOCK SMITH!!
They have tools that will usually allow them to extract the broken key!
With the extracted part, a GOOD lock smith should be able to cut you a new key... simple, reallllllllllly simple to do, provided they have the key blank.
Next, they may actually have a replacement if they also install garage-doors or alarm systems - or they may be able to smoke a key for you (some of them have no idea about how to blind cut a key, they should, covered in every locksmith training course I've ever read).

I've done this with a few keyed-switched instruments in the lab (actually, with the tools I have in the lab, I pull the key myself and take it to them for a re-cut - but it take a lot of patience and practice to extract the key!) (that's why I have the locksmith training... never figured a chemist would need to know... I also have electrical and plumbing, go figure)

My late-Grandpa used to just pull, braze the two parts back together, and clear the key-way on the key when his would break.
-WC

Is there a number on the key or on the lock? If so post it here or send me a PM, I may have one to copy. I do this often on a camper forum I visit. There's a good chance it's a common key used in more than one application.

Wetchem is 100% on the mark. A locksmith should have very little trouble getting you back in business. Part of what I do for a living includes some locksmithing.

I'd try to look at the switch. It may be easily removable so you could take it to a locksmith for a new key. If the switch only has two wires going to it, most likely shorting them together will allow you to operate, but it might be best to have somebody who knows what they are doing with electricity to take a look first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.