Back filling around an AGP?

hanau

Apr 20, 2008
The pool installer recommend that we take plastic up around the side of the pool and put a drain pipe on top of the plastic then back fill with mulch.

The deepest point is almost 2 feet.

We are going to put some type of deck up, but the mulch will eventually decompose. The i will have to crawl under the deck to refill.

Any suggestion on what i should do?
Here is a couple of pictures of the area.

PICT0401.jpg

PICT0402.jpg

that what we was wondering, instead of mulch we wanted to use the white pebbles.
But was worried about the weight pressing on the side of the pool.

we are going to put a deck on it just not sure on how i want to do it.

Ok, if you use stone with no fines in it, you do not need to put fabric or sock on the pipe, you would need like pea gravel, 3/4 stone, or something like that. I would not put plastic up the side of the pool, it will never dry out, and will either mold/mildew or rot the side of the pool. If you want to do anything, do like was previously said, use landscape fabric. I would make a "u" out of it, and put stone in it around the pipe, then wrap it over the top, or lay another piece over the top of it and bury it with whatever you want, I would use decorative stone or something though, if you use mulch, it will eventually break down into dirt, and weeds will grow in it.

Do i need to worry about the weight of the stones pushing up against the pool?

I am not sure about what type of rock i want to use, they most likely will never be seen when the deck is put on.

The weight against the pool should be alright as long as it doesn't go up too high and you have water in the pool. Your trench doesn't look all that deep so it should be alright. There can be problems if you need to drain the pool, but that shouldn't be an issue for many years.

I agree with Jason that the rock weight will have little effect. The pool water is currently applying force outward on the pool so, in effect, you could apply an equal amount of inward force and the result is nuetral. The rock probably weighs less than water-soaked mulch anyway.

Maybe a limestone based material may not be a good idea though. I have seen it corrode metals (watermains) pretty quickly. Maybe it would be ok for a pool, I don't know what the walls are made of and what sort of reactions take place.

Was going to go with smooth rock and all i could find was the white rocks.
The quarry only had sharp edge type rocks and only could find the white rocks at $70 a yard.
I ended up getting one yard and it didn't go far and i sure couldn't afford to put rock all the way up.
Ended up getting 6 yards of brown color mulch to finish it. at $24 a yard

PICT0403.jpg

Next on the list is some type of deck to get me thru this summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.