Two week cloud

Johnny-M

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
Altoona, Pa
I have been passing on my new found knowledge of TFP to a neighbor of mine with an above ground pool.
He thinks I am nuts for how much bleach he is buying.
Here are the test results.
24 foot round
13,000 gallons
100 pound sand filter
CYA 40
PH 7.5
TA 140
CH 150
FC 16.5 (33 drops)
CC 0
Passed OCLT a couple of nights ago and it has been holding Free CL
Water is cloudy.
I looked for channelling in the sand and nothing.
While I had the top open I thoroughly flushed the sand with water until clear.
I added a skimmer sock and DE to filter 2 days ago no improvement.
Could the filter be broke, I know his pressure guage is broken, but when I vacuumed there was a noticeabl reduction in return pressure. No sand in return.
I am kinda out of suggestions unless POP is the suggestion.
Thanks for any help.

Probably just needs filter time. If the returns were putting sand out, I would say that the filter, specifically a broken lateral, might be the culprit. Is he running the filter 24/7?

Yes hasn't shut the filter off. I am keeping it at shock levels. And it has gotten better since opening but has stalled the last couple of days since the OCLT test was passed. I even got in to stir the water up and find a lost lid for a bleach bottle that dropped. I guess it will take time and patience. Unless I am mossing something.

At the very least, fix that pressure guage.....that's an important part of pool water management. Better yet, get about a #200 lb sand filter and get rid of that tiny one. (Easy to say when it's not my money :oops: )

I had that problem a couple of months ago. All my tests look good, the water was clear but not sparkling. A very faint cloudyness to it so I added some DE to the sand filter, did the clarifier thing and about 3 days later, my water was the best it's ever been.
My sand filter doesn't tend to get out very fine particles so it needs just a little help with that so the DE and calrifier were the ticket for me.

Do you think that a 100# sand filter is too small for his 13000 gallon above ground?
Yes, probably. I would have missed that but sharp-eyed woodyp pointed it out. :goodjob:

Post how many amps and at what voltage his pool pump is (or take a pic of the plate on the pump)....that the real determiner. my bet is his pump is pushing that filter too hard and even if not, a #100 lb filter is awfully small for 13k of water.

I will check the amperage later on today. I know it is a 1 HP pump on the filter. The water comes flying out of the return. Maybe pushing any dead algae or fine dirt right through the filter back into the pool. Other than the DE (which may have been pushed through also) any other tricks to slow it down so it will catch more debris? I did add a skimmer sock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok I checked his pump,
It is a 1HP pump 60 GPM
11 amps and 110 Voltat 6oHZ
The filter is a Haward 100# Sand filter rated at 25 GPM
The filter and pump have been on the pool for years, with no problems.
It is only now that I cant clear it up that i am questioning the
filtration system. Maybe I am nuts and need some patience.
He wants to go back to the pool store and is losing faith in my help. HAHA!
It has been cloudy for two weeks and a swamp before that since it was closed in October and opened in May

Most likely that sand filter is a S116T, or something close which is a 16 in filter or about 1.4 sq. ft., so it is small since our recommended size would be at least 2.4 sq. ft. (21 inches).

That pump also is too big for that filter, but I bet it was a packaged together?

But if it isn't channeling, then it still should be able to clear the pool, it will just take more time.

Johnny-M said:
Thanks I know telling him to buy a new pump and or filter is out pf the question. Hopefully with that sock and DE it will clear up.
Go easy on the DE. I have the same filter and it only takes a 1/2 cup to up the pressure 2 to 3 lbs. Start with a 1/4 cup. That should give you a steady pressure rise as it filters. It's easy to reach backflush pressure from the DE alone.

It will be a week tomorrow morning that i passed the OCLT. I have had 0 CC since. You can see down to the bottom step. But not clearly and you can't make out any designs on the floor. Tested chemicals again and everything is the same as its been. I did buy another pressure guage and brought the pressure up with DE. I put the skimmer sock on and the return eye facing down towards the bottom and dumped more bleach in. It has to start clearing up gradually but how long, I dont know.
POP??? I need some of that stuff again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.