Crack in pool filter

skate

Jun 16, 2012
I have three unrelated questions regarding a cracked pool filter:

1) Is an epoxy repaired factory refurb as good as a brand new filter? If a filter is new and under warranty and it cracks (not from the reasons listed below) should a new filter be provided or is epoxy repair the norm? If the customer did not realize that the replacement filter was an epoxy repair because the sticker was placed directly over the repair, and only realized years later when the epoxy repair site forms a leak, is it too late to do anything?

2) Can a really dirty filter cause the filter to crack? If, say, the neighbor shoots off about 10 rocket fireworks (illegally) over your yard and all the millions of little cardboard bits land in your pool, along with some big cardboard and plastic chunks and launcher sticks, and they get sucked into your filter and drive the pressure beyond the "time to clean your filter mark," can that cause the filter to crack?

3) In an unrelated incident...if the pool guy accidentally leaves the valve for the side wall suction open on Saturday morning while you are out of town, and on Monday morning when you return you find that 1/3 of the pool water is missing from the pool and the sidewall suction is sucking air into the system (so much so that 4 days later you still hear the gurgling of air bubbles working their way through your solar system pipes on your roof (to the point that the sound keeps you awake at night), could this cause the pool filter to crack? How about the epoxy repaired section of the pool filter? Any other possible damage to the pool system from two days worth of air getting sucked into the system?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Welcome to TFP!

I would be wary of using any type of vessel that is subject to pressurization to potentially explosive levels that has been repaired with epoxy. Just me though.

1. If it's a warranty replacement and truly a factory repair, then it's acceptable. Most warranties state that they will replace units with a new or factory repaired equipment at their discretion.

2. Normal pool pumps will only produce about 40 psi maximum. Most all pool equipment is rated for 50 psi, so even worse case scenario the pump won't produce enough pressure to burst any of the equipment.

3. As soon as the pump starts sucking air it's going to produce much less pressure so damaging anything by pressure becomes even less of a chance. If the pump runs completely dry it will create enough heat to warp and damage the pump housing but it would be almost impossible for it to do any damage to the filter.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear but it's the facts. Bummer.

My previous Jacuzzi sand filter developed a crack about 4 seasons ago & I'd repair it each spring (inside & out) using a marine epoxy. It would usually last for 2-3 months, then start leaking and I'd re-seal it.

I knew it needed to be replaced and I was buying time until I could replace all my pad equipment at once, which I did last month.

I am sure that the crack developed due to expansion/contraction of the filter vessel from 'normal' operating pressures between 10-25psi. Nothing ever approached 30 psi. So I don't think various forms of debris would cause a crack. Your skimmer and pump baskets should catch that stuff.

Oh, BTW, I've had the same kind of pyrotechnic debris in my pool......of my own doing, of course. :party: :goodjob: :twisted:

Many years ago I attended a seminar on risk avoidance, one of the examples complete with slide show was a pool sand filter that had exploded injuring some people if Florida. Of course in this case the filter was connected wrong (plumbed backwards) and there were several other liability issues, some one thing it was a "residential" pool filter being used in a commercial location, etc.

skate said:
Thanks. The PSI was at 42-45 from the fireworks!

You're getting 'up there' with that PSI...but I don't see how you can get pressure that high from the fireworks? If the skimmer and/or pump baskets were loaded with debris, then that would reduce flow and lessen pressure on the filter. So, me thinks you've been needing to backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.