Auto refill - can you explain?

Jul 19, 2007
Katy, TX
Can some explain how auto refill works. Ours appears to just be continually running. We swam in pool for several hrs on saturday and it ran the entire time. DH says everytime he thinks about it and checks it, it is pushing water out. Is this normal? Our water bill has gone up about 10k gallons since we put the pool in. Thanks for any input!

They work just like the float valve in your toilet tank. If the water level gets low, the float drops and opens the fill valve. When the water level rises again, the float raises up and closes the valve.

If it runs all the time, you may have something making the valve stick open or you may need to adjust it. If you have an overflow drain and the autofill is set below that level, it will constantly run and overflow...costing you money and wasting water. Can you turn the water off to the autofill to see what happens? It would also tell you if you possibly have a leak somewhere causing the constant fill.

Okay, excuse my stupidity. How would I know what the autofill is set to? And we did turn it off so how would we know we have a leak? We turned it off Saturday late afternoon. I just ckecked the water level now it is about 3/4 " below the over flow grate.

There are three ways you can be losing water. If the water level is too high you will lose water out the overflow. All the time you will lose some water to evaporation. Evaporation is highest when it is not humid and/or when the pool is heated. You can also lose water to leaks.

To distinguish normal evaporation from a leak you need to get a bucket of water and set it in the pool somehow so the water inside stays the same temperature as the pool water but the rim of the bucket is above water. Set the water level in the bucket to match the water level in the pool at the start. Then you can compare how the water level in the bucket compares to the water level in the pool. If they both go down the same amount then it is evaporation, if the pool goes down more quickly you have a leak.

There's no real "flow" setting for the auto fill valve. It is only set for height of water...On or Off. You would adjust the level just like you would in the tank of your toilet. It depends on the type of valve. Usually you either bend a little arm with the float on it, or some you have to unscrew a locking ring and push it up or down on the main tube. Can you take a picture of your setup and someone can probably tell you how to adjust it if it really needs it.

UGH!!! I just tried to get the plate off to see what I have going on for the auto fill but can not get the darn plate off. It appears to be stuck or maybe even melted on. We have never opened this before, so sitting in the texas sun for a year ..... It started to crack when I put too much force on it (using screwdriver in the holes to pry it out). Not sure what to do now. I can not get my PB to deal with major issues like cracked flagstone over skimmer so not sure if he will do anything with this. Anybody got any suugestions?

Locate the fitting that comes through your pool wall so you can plug it if you break something. This isn't a complicated piece of equipment, just do your best trying to pry the lid and if you have to break something, just break the lid. I'm sure you can order a new lid. Try not to break the canister below the lid. If it's cracked and melted, seems like it needs to be replaced anyways.

Hmmm... I think I will wait for hubby to come home and see if he can get it off. Or perhaps I will try in the morning when things have cooled down and maybe it will come off easier. I have little ones and little dog and can not have an open hole like that in the deck. Thanks for all the input. Once I get it open I will take pics so you guys can help me figure this out. THANKS!!!! You all ROCK!

Okay got it off with out breaking the lid. G-R-O-S-S!!! Is it suppose to be this way? The water is dark with gross stuff floating in it. Does this water go in my pool? Ok - so here it is, how can I go about lowering it so that the refill does not run nonstop? Thanks

April004.jpg

April005.jpg

April003.jpg

Wow, that looks pretty bad. I can't really imagine how those branches got in there.

Pull out everything you can get you hands on and flush it out with a garden hose and see if you can clean it up that way.

To lower the water you will need to block the connection to the pool, perhaps with a winterizing plug, then get the water out with a shop vac. You can probably clean it up well enough with doing that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I turned the water off at the spicket. Is that good or do I actually have to block the return (in the pool)? Or is there a connection from inside this thing to the pool? Again sorry for the dumb questions, I just truly have no clue what I am doing. Do I get out all the water? Or just a little? I don't have a shop vac so I may have to dump in small amounts. Thanks again.

Once you get that mess drained and cleaned up, you can turn the water back on to the autofill and manually raise/lower that white float and that will let you know if your fill valve is working properly. You can adjust it by bending the little brass arm up or down that the float is attached to.

That little canister has communication with your pool water/chlorine, but the flow is generally toward the pool, not from the pool/chlorine. That's probably why there's algae growing in there. This would be a prime spot to start new algae problems if it doesn't stay clean. You might consider dropping a little bleach in once/week or a couple chlorine pellets. Just don't overdo the chlorine in here as it could probably damage some of the metal parts.

I don't have an auto leveler, but I would imagine that the water in the pool would be the same level as the level of the water in the auto leveler canister. If you try to drain the water in there without blocking the hole into the pool you will essentially be draining it too.

So, the question is, are those sticks, or are they roots? If they are roots, how did they get in, if the canister is cracked, I would be that the problem / leak is right there.

There should be a port in your pool wall very near that canister. I probably looks like a pool return. You can plug it up with something and get as much water out of the canister as you can and scrub it up. If you have to, use a plastic cup to bail it out and scrub it all out. You may even think about running some kind of home-made scrubby snake through that piping line because there's probably some of that growing in there too between the pool wall and the canister where you can't see it.

I am so confused. So the water comes from my house to this canister and then from this canster to my pool? If so, that is just gross. Okay, I gotta figure out how to plug up that return. Do you think I can use plastic wrap and secure it on with a rubberband? Then I will take water out and clean the canster. Then gently lower the metal arm? Then turn the water back on and then unplug return? Once this issue is cleared, even though I have a salt system I just had a splash of bleach in their to kill algea. Am I on the right page or off base? Sorry you guys are having to spoon feed me but I really appreciate this.

Yes, the water comes from your house through that float and valve into the canister. Then from that canister into your pool. But don't worry, your house water is not nasty like that, there's just algae growing in that canister, not in your house water. Once you get the canister clean and give it just a little attention, it should stay clean.

There's no pressure on that return from the pool return to the canister. You could probably plug it good enough by stuffing a rag in it.

Once it is clean, unplug the fitting and turn the water back on. You can then go over to the canister and should be able to make the water start/stop by raising/lowering the white plastic float manually to see if the water starts and stops OK. When you lower the float, water should flow, when you raise the float back to normal pool level it should stop. If it starts and stops normally then you can adjust it if need by by bending that little brass rod/arm a little.

Remember that if your pool is even 1/2" low, it will take a long time for that little water valve to fill your big pool. It only takes a minute to fill a 1.4 gallon toilet tank. You have a 13000 gallon pool.

Hope this clears things up a bit...

Jim

Belldiver your so patient - thanks. I think I got what yo0ur saying. Well, I thought my overflow drain was elsewear b/c in my pool it is located a good 6 feet away (inside pool there is a grate cover). SO assumed that was it. I have not had a chance to clean it out yet and will try to tackel it after dinner. I see that hole in the canaster (via picture) but have not a clue as to what it is for. Okay, I will get back to ya once I clean that disgusting thing - yuck!

Also, like sevver said, inspect the canister for any other cracks or holes that could be a source for problems(leaks).

It doesn't really matter where your overflow drain is. You just need to make sure your autofill is not still flowing while your drains are pouring water out...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.