TA question for vinyl pool

FC tonight was 3 (was 5 this am, been sunny ALLL DAY and was used a lot today, obvi adding bleach per calculator)
PH 7.4
CYA 45
No CC
But my TA was 170
My pool is CRYSTAL clear, but my husband insisted to check TA, as I don't really do it often. ( I mainly check FC and PH) But my sons eyes were red and he came in tested PH and was 7.3. I told him too hold out another hour or so, cuz I KNEW it would rise do to the activity of the pool. As for 4 days nobody used it. And of course the PH rose. But should I be worried of the TA?

Have had no other problems, and my still remains crystal clear. :whip:
My husband always wants to add Borax when PH is 7.3-7.2, and I think to hold off esp. when i know its going to be a long long weekend in the pool. So, advice?

Hi maryj0w:

There are two reasons to lower your total alkalinity (TA)
  • 1. Because you want to slow down the rate that the PH rises
  • 2. If high TA is contributing to a high calcium saturation index (CSI) which puts you at risk of calcium scaling.
You shouldn't lower TA just to reach a target number.

Here is an article that explains more about TA: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/lowering total alkalinity

Do you happen to know what your Calcium Hardness (CH) is? With a vinyl liner it should be kept between 50-300 ppm. This will also impact your CSI (click the Pool Calculator link in my sig for more info)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.