New pool owner. first opening. Silly question.

Molson

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2008
Midland, Ontario
I removed the cover yesterday and started filling the pool. I've inserted the return eyes. (thats about it so far)
Tonight I'll take out the gizmo, put the plugs back in, hook lines, etc etc.

I want to vacuum to waste when I get the system going, question I have, is, where is the waste going? My equipment is in a poolhouse with no easy access to run a pipe out to drain/backwash. I am going to assume they plumbed a waste line, somwhere? Is there a dummy lable on the filter that will tell me what line is the waste?

Oh, next question. My pool is a bromine pool, with brominator. Is CYA still a factor with bromine?
Thanks, this site has been a fountain of information, and I wouldn't even have thought of attempting to open the pool myself without it.

Bromine can't be stabilized, so CYA is not something you'll deal with.

If you have a sand or DE filter, you should have a backwash line somewhere. There should be three lines in/out of the multiport valve. One from the pump, one to the returns (possibly via chemical dispensers or heaters), and the third is the waste/backwash line.

Ok great, thanks John. Its a sand filter (Hayward) If I recall correctly, the filter valve is typical, and the other valve is labled Port 1, Port 1 & 2, Port 2. I assume that means fed by skimmer, skimmer and drain, and drain only. There is a brominator/dispenser in line, but it only appears to be a 1/2" line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.