Taylor CYA Test View Tube

WorBry

Nov 19, 2011
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase reagents for the Taylor CYA test. I see there are two optional methods when it comes to viewing the result:

One being a single CYAView tube in which the sample is mixed with reagent and then read using a slider that moves the dot up and down:

http://piscines-apollo.com/cubecart/4088-cyaview.html

The other using one vessel for the mixing and another for the reading:

http://piscines-apollo.com/cubecart/par ... yamix.html

http://piscines-apollo.com/cubecart/par ... aview.html

The TFP 'extended' test method describes the latter, but does mention the single tube (sliding reader) as an alternative.

I've read that the disappearance of the dot can sometimes be difficult to visualize. Just wondering if maybe the view tube with slider makes that a bit easier - i.e. move slider up and down until you get it right, whereas with the two tube 'fill' method, you have to decant and try again if you overshoot the 'dot disappearance point'

The slider version is neat, especially for beginners. However it uses way more reagent for each test and the slider tube costs more.

You can do somethIng almost as good with the regular tube, if you pour the sample back into the spray bottle you can then fill the view tube again. Trying it several times like that gives you a better idea of what is going on and is almost as good as the slider tube

Reactions: mlulm
OK thanks. I think I'm probably right in assuming that the 'slider-tube' uses more reagent (? 14ml vs 7ml) because, like the optional 14ml (reagent) 'regular' tube (which Apollo Piscines don't list) it is sensitive down to 20ppm, whereas the 7ml (reagent) 'regular' tube (they list) is sensitive down to 30ppm.

Crikey, that means that the 22ml size CYA reagent would give you just 3 tests with the 7ml 'regular' tube and only enough reagent for one complete test with the 14ml 'regular' tube and 'slider-tube' tests.

I've read you can use half the reagent and sample when the purpose is to test for elevated levels (>50ppm), but, now that I've changed from trichlor pucks to BBB, I'm more concerned with knowing that I'm maintaining adequate levels (35-40ppm), and topping up if needs require, so there's no saving on reagent there.

Guess I'd be better off going with the 60ml size reagent for a few bucks more.

You can get a reading down to 10 ppm CYA with the 9197 (30 ppm) tube by diluting 50:50 CYA Standard Solution and pool water.

The slider tube uses approx 19 mL R-0013 and 19 mL pool water. It's mainly used with their old Counterlabs.

We can order the 9193 CYA view tube (20 ppm) no problem.

Hey CaOCl2, so you is they :wink: :lol:

Thanks for the clarification.

Thought I was OK on the CYA front. Opened to 'zero' according to the pool store test. Four 200g CYA pucks, plus a trichlor puck in a floater brought it up to 35ppm. At first that also registered on the AquaCheck strip (35-50 ppm range) I was using so I thought I'd be OK using that for spot checks. But then with a new pot of strips there was nothing; the FC was also way off (glad I got the FAS-DPD test). I've also lost faith in the local pool store testing (one of the two franchise groups). When I took a sample in to check the CYA, they didn't even do that test yet told me I had 40ppm. I was watching closely and the guy just looked up the 'ideal' value from a reference table. :roll:

Hence my interest in the Taylor CYA test.

CaOCl2 said:
You can get a reading down to 10 ppm CYA with the 9197 (30 ppm) tube by diluting 50:50 CYA Standard Solution and pool water.

That's useful to know, but I doubt I'd need to go that low. I surely have at least 25ppm based on the amount of stabilizer I've added.

It's a cool way of using CYA Standard Solution.

What you are doing basically is diluting a known concentration (the standard solution at 50 ppm) with an unknown (pool water).

It's the same thing as when diluting a known concentration (tap water at 0 ppm) with an unknown (pool water).

You take half pool water (3.5 mL) and half standard solution (3.5 mL), you mix that with 7 mL R-0013 and proceed with the test as usual.
Code:
9197 Tube...Actual CYA
If your view tube requires a different volume of solution then you adjust the quantities (and the math) accordingly.

Of course anything above 30 ppm actual CYA (or 20, depending on the view tube) reads directly on the view tube so this method is unnecessary.

Passed by the 'other' franchise store and what a difference. They use the Taylor CYA ViewTube with slider. The young man doing the tests on this occasion was very conscientious and competent. Told me I'd have to wait 7 minutes (to the second) for the result. Gave me the value without me having to ask and invited me to check the reading myself....35 ppm. At last, someone genuinely interested. Either that or I have gained a reputation :lol:

Even so, I think I'll go ahead and order the reagents for future use. Probably costs me as much in gas to go to the store each time for testing.

That's strange, the instructions say to mix for 30 seconds, then wait 2 minutes, and read the results within 5 minutes.

If you're very very nitpicky you can add 2 drops of R-0007 to the solution prior to mixing.

What franchise was this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CaOCl2 said:
That's strange, the instructions say to mix for 30 seconds, then wait 2 minutes, and read the results within 5 minutes.

If you're very very nitpicky you can add 2 drops of R-0007 to the solution prior to mixing.

What franchise was this?

I'd prefer not to name names here, so I'll PM you on that. The guy was adamant that the test would take 7 minutes. I'm not sure if that included the prep/mixing step or not - I didn't actually time him, and, having never done the test myself, I was not one to question. He did set the timer though and asked me to wait while he served another client. Perhaps he or a supervisor who trained him interpreted the 2 + 5 as wait 7 minutes.

Not sure what reagents the other franchise store uses. As I recall (when they actually did do the test) they mixed with reagent, left it for 1 minute and appeared to read against some turbidity comparator.

Edit: Just checked the Taylor site and the instructions for both the 20-100ppm and 30-100pm turbidimetric tests do just say to add R-0013 Cyanuric Acid Reagent, cap and mix for 30 seconds and don't specify any wait time.

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... umber=5094

Can't find any specific instructions there for the moveable-slide ViewTube (4088-CYAVIEW) method though.

CaOCl2 said:

What franchise was this?

That is the directions the old Aqua Chem test kits had for their stabilizer test.

CaOCl2 said:
Go in Marketing Support / Product Photos / Hi Res Photos and grab the picture of the K-0203 (CounterLab)

Yes, that is the Taylor test panel (Counter Lab) they use and for sure the instructions on the panel in the photo say:

.....mix for 30 seconds. WAIT 2 MINUTES. Read before 5 minutes.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the reason. The area where the store is located is predominantly francophone. I suspect 'before' was interpreted as 'within', translated as 'dans ' which, in future tense, would be taken to mean 'in' (or 'after') 5 minutes. The meaning gets effectively reversed.

I'll maybe (tactfully) bring that to their attention next time I'm in.

Strange though that the instructions for the the 'regular' CYA test do not specify a wait time. What's so different?

Yup, sure sounds like what is happening.
I don't know for sure about the wait time, maybe it has something to do with the precipitate settling to the bottom of the (big) tube, it may be worth a quick call to Taylor Tech Support.

CaOCl2 said:
Yup, sure sounds like what is happening.
I don't know for sure about the wait time, maybe it has something to do with the precipitate settling to the bottom of the (big) tube, it may be worth a quick call to Taylor Tech Support.

Did you happen to call or was that something for a customer to do as opposed to a dealer... as the dealer may get a different answer?

JasonLion said:
The slider version is neat, especially for beginners. However it uses way more reagent for each test and the slider tube costs more.

You can do somethIng almost as good with the regular tube, if you pour the sample back into the spray bottle you can then fill the view tube again. Trying it several times like that gives you a better idea of what is going on and is almost as good as the slider tube

I have the test view tube kit I purchased from tftestkits. I tried the slider test at Leslies and found it easier to read. You can find the Rainbow reagent for about half the price of the Taylor R-0013, for the same volume. The cost of each test is therefore about the same. You can slide it up and down as many time as you want to see if you get consistent results. No need to repour each time. On one website I saw the reagent cross referenced with Taylor R-0013. If they are the same, you may also be able to use it with the Taylor test view tube.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.