AGP purchase...my first post

Jun 14, 2012
My family is looking at purchasing an agp. We were quoted $3500.00 for a 27ft round aqua leader vogue sentinelle 54" kit.
Pool Specs:
top ledge-10"resin
uprights- 8" resin
bottom rails -resin
top& plates-resin
warranty- 60yrs-3yrs@100%

Items included are as follows:
Upgraded liner
Hayward wide mouth skimmer
Jacuzzi 19" sand filter w/ 1hp pump
1 1/2 x 35' vacuum hose
Maint.kit(vac.head,brush,skimmer net vac.pole etc.)
200# filter sand
confer A-frame ladder
Pool cove
Liner gaurd
slabs
winter cover
plastic pump base

Does this sound like a reasonably good deal? I am new to pools and want to do it right the first time. Is it a better choice to purchase online and piece a pool together? If so what are some comparable pools to the above at online stores? Also what online stores come highly recommended in general. Lots of them on google, a bit overwhelmd here. Thanks for any help and assitance giving.

Price sounds okay. I agree with Woody, you will want a much bigger filter than that. In addition, if they will do it, get a 2-speed pump, but 1 hp (3/4 hp might be better) is probably okay if you go with a larger filter.

I may be able to leave out the filter and pump. Which pump and filter do you recommend? I am on well water and live on a dusty road although the pool will be roughly 100 ft.from the road. Would you recommend a sand or cartridge filter? Thanks for the help

nitrobob said:
Would you recommend a sand or cartridge filter?
That is a controversial topic. All three filter types will do the job (DE is the third). I personally like sand, since I find it is the easiest, but others will have reasons for the others.

nitrobob said:
I may be able to leave out the filter and pump. Which pump and filter do you recommend?
For your pool size:
For sand we would recommend at least a 3.2 sq. ft filter (about 24" diameter).
For cartridge we would recommend a 260 sq. ft. filter.
For DE we would recommend a 24 sq. ft. filter.

Generally the bigger the filter the better, though sand filters do need a minimum backwash flowrate to flush right.

For pump recommendations, we need more details on your build, pipe diameter, length of runs, other features such as solar, etc.

Most likely a good choice would be a 1 hp hayward matrix 2-speed or the pentair equivalent, but again we need more information.

The install will be done professionally. The pump/filter will most likely be next to the pool with a standard install on piping i'm assuming. They never said anything about pipe size etc. Not sure what you mean by solar?? Can you put any pump on any filter. Any good online retailers you recommend?

nitrobob said:
The install will be done professionally. The pump/filter will most likely be next to the pool with a standard install on piping i'm assuming. They never said anything about pipe size etc.
I would ask for 2" pvc if possible, though they are probably assuming the cheap flexible corrugated 1.5" in tubing. You may not have a choice here with typical agp installers.

nitrobob said:
Not sure what you mean by solar??
Solar heat exchange panels to heat the pool water...sounds like you are not considering that, which is fine. It can effect what pump you would buy.

nitrobob said:
Can you put any pump on any filter.
They are separate parts, but many manufacturers pair them together on something called a skidpack. Most of those skidpacks have too big of a pump and too small of a filter (such as the one you were quoted).

Just got off the phone with the pool store and they said they will take $399 off the total for the Jacuzzi pump/filter combo. What size pump/filter do you recommend for a 24ft x 54 tall . We may have to downsize to a 24ft from the 27ft after measuring the yard.

Thanks for the help linen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.