change return on pool from flex to pvc

Gotch-ya. Wasn't thinking all the way thru on that one. Do you have different return outlet to put in place? I do remember changing one out where I put plugs in both the old one and the new one. I unscrewed the old one, pulled it out quick and stuck the new one in. Be prepared to get a little wet and move quickly...you should only lose a few gallons.

On mine I used a short, flexible piece of tubing to connect my PVC plumbing. If I get a chance I will get a picture.

Here is a picture...

100_0327.jpg

I did not want a completly rigid connection so I added this short piece of 1.5" vinyl tubing.

I just went out and looked at mine again. On mine the vinyl hose is connected to a thread in nipple. The return fitting would not have to be removed. If I recall, the thread is a standard 1.5" pipe thread that is available in PVC. You should be able to change this to PVC without removing the return fitting if yours is the same.

As I have found out, it makes very little difference until their numbers add up (and even then there are other obstructions that cause more head loss then the elbows). Just make sure you use sch40, whatever you choose.

I would have used sweeping El's but, I was cleaning out my parts box and had those elbows in there. I think there are only two on the line so not much of a problem. Been that way for 10 years now and with the pump on low speed the outlet still keeps a light whirlpool going.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.