1/2HP Hayward NorthStar parts

Feb 8, 2008
Milford, CT
Looking to get a replacement impeller, seal, etc for my .5 horsepower Northstar.

This is an actual .5 HP fullrated model of the pump but it seems to be discontinued. I cant find the seal/impeller kit anywhere. The smallest I can find is for the .75 HP version.

The service factor on mine is 1.85, so technically its .5HP * 1.85, correct?

Could I get away with using the .75 HP parts?

Ive noted a drop in psi when the filter is clean (normally around 12 or so, now at 8) so Im preparing for the worst (new seal, impeller, etc). I know using the .75 HP parts might even get me more flow, but I assume at the cost of energy usage. If I can get the actual .5 HP parts anywhere that would be preferable, but am interested to know if I can use the .75 HP parts in their place.

Thanks.

-Chris

The impeller and seal kit is the SPX4005CKIT and it is tough to find but here are couple places to try:

https://www.google.com/search?q=SPX4005CKIT

Ive noted a drop in psi when the filter is clean (normally around 12 or so, now at 8) so Im preparing for the worst (new seal, impeller, etc).
More than likely, this is something stuck in the impeller or even in the suction lines. You can take the pump apart to inspect the impeller before ordering the parts.

Thanks, Ill take a look.

Wasnt sure anything was clogged since I have zero trapped air in the pump basket (odd for a NorthStar, I think....but normal for mine since day 1). Pump doesnt sound like its straining or "throwing" anything around inside.

You don't always get air with a suction side problem. If the gasket is working well, even with high suction, there will be little air. Also, if it is an impeller clog, it still may be able to purge all of the air in the pump basket. But either way, these are easy things to check before starting to replace things.

Will check it when I get a chance.

Out of curiosity, would changing any plumbing have this effect? Preparing for my AutoPilot installation, I changed the return piping to 2" from the multiport to the valve for my returns (each return on its own 1.5" out of the valve). The inlet side was already 2" from valve into pump and from pump to inlet on multiport.

Going from 1.5" to 2" will decrease return head and thus filter pressure but 4 PSI is a lot more than what I would expect although it depends on what all was replaced. If the flow out of the returns is stronger than before, then that could be it. Also, rereading your post, cleaning a filter will also lower filter PSI but I am not sure that is what you meant.

Yeah I was referring to pressure after cleaning. Used to be 12 or so....now 8 or 9.

Our main drain was replaced last season with a wall inlet because it leaked. wonder if that's contributing too since the run is now so much shorter. I never noticed the pressure drop but maybe it was there already

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.