Baquacil-Chlorine Conversion Frustration!

When you lose 1 ppm of chlorine, or less, overnight it is time to clean out your filter and change the media. Once the filter is cleaned up, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Continue to maintain FC at 15 ppm.

Almost time. Let's see what the OCLT shows'.

Yep

Change the Media in the filter and add cya. Leave it at shock level however and do another OCLT tonight. Push yourself and kill that last 0.5CC! Then bring FC levels down and go swimming.

Will do, but couple of questions --

Plan to use large stabilized chlorine tablets in a floater to help maintain FC levels, so when I use the calculator for amount of stabilizer to add, what level should I try to bring it up to since the tablets also contain stabilizer?

When should I retest pH, alk, etc; should I wait till stabilizer is in and maintaing FC at normal levels instead of shock levels?

It is still blue, but quite cloudy, should we be concerned about that yet?

That's all I can think of to ask right now, but I am sure I will think of more since it has been almost 20 years since we used chlorine in our pool. This forum has been a great help and source of good advice, as my husband keeps saying -- I can't believe we need to add more bleach (every day and time we have shocked)

If you plan to use tablets a fair bit the aim for a CYA level of 25.

Continue at shock level just a little longer, until CC is 0.5 or lower for two days in a row after CYA is added.

However, before going back to shock level retest everything except CYA and adjust to the normal ranges as needed. Post your test results and we will see if there are any hints to why the water is cloudy in your numbers.

Sand changed, water test results prior to shocking again
FC-1.5
CC-0.5
pH-7.2
TA-200
CH-230
Saturation Index 0 (didn't know if this was important, but just followed instructions on wheel in test kit).

Have shocked and added CYA. Water still pretty blue but still quite cloudy.

Just FYI, during this conversion process we also had problems with our Hayward Sand Filter and have replaced the entire shaft and lateral (entire guts of filter) just a week ago. Filter has great output with just 2 pounds pressure on the gauge and requiring backwash infrequently.

Will report FC. CC and CYA levels in the morning.

Your TA is a bit high. That means there is a fairly high chance that PH will tend to go up fairly rapidly. Until the TA comes down to something more reasonable, every time the PH gets up to 7.8, lower it back down to 7.2. Since PH is already 7.2, there is nothing to do on this right now.

Traditionally our TA is always high and we use quite a bit of muratic acid during a season as we have a well and hard water. So not sure if it will come down on it's own or not. Should we add some acid now or wait a bit, cause I know that will knock the pH down also? That was always a problem we fought when we were on chlorine (one of the reasons Baq was attractive).

Looking at those values, any idea why we still have cloudy water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A few things to comment on...

1. Your FC is way too low. Just like the shock process (which this essentially is) you must be at shock value all the time. You are prolonging the event by not keeping your chlorine up.

2. How much CYA did you add? We need to know that number.

3. Something is not right with that psi. 2 is too low unless you are running a 2-speed of VS pump. Please put your equipment list in your sig so we can see what you have.

4. baquagoo hangs in a filter. We suggest changing the sand at the end of the process. It is very likely you have accumulated some of the baqua in your filter and will need to thoroughly cecal it back out.

5. Of all the things that you can think the problem might be, #1 above is the thing you must focus on. You have to keep adequate chlorine in your pool and you are not doing so.

1. Just let the FC drop during the afternoon so the kids could swim for a bit. They haven't been in since we started this conversion. After we found out we should shock more than once a day in the evening (pool store instructions) we have been doing that average of 3 x per day.

2. Added 8 pounds of CYA. Was suggested to try to get CYA to 25 since we intend to use stabilized tablets in a floater.

3. The pressure is now 9, last weekend we replaced the entire guts of the filter and the pressure gauge (it was discolored and couldn't read it) and I think the filter was working ok, just the gauge -- after tapping on the new gauge a few times it came up to 9. Looked but can't figure out how to put my equipment in sig. Where do I go to add that?

4. We changed the sand yesterday before adding CYA.

Readings from this morning:
FC - 14
CC - 0
TA - 225
CH - 325
pH - 7.2
CYA - not sure, since the last mark at the top of the tube is 30, it was real near the top when the dot disappeared, so somewhere between 20-25 I would think.

Pool is still blue and cloudy. No noticeable difference for over a week.

Now your numbers and plan of action look much better. Keep the FC up there.....check it often.

Do everything you can to mechanically help remove the remaining particles....brush, backwash the filter when you get a 25% rise in psi, vacuum often.

Do you know how to add a small amount of DE to your filter to possible help the pool clear a little faster?

I have seen people post that they have added DE, but no specifics.
How much and I am assuming you add thru the skimmer? Do you just do that one time or every so often?

Is that CYA level ok?

Should we go ahead and put the tabs/floater in or at what point should we do that?

Just getting more and more frustrated since this has been going on since Memorial Day (I know we weren't using the correct instructions at first, as we were doing what the pool store told us). Hope to be able to have a pool party soon!

1. Add a small amount of DE into your skimmer until you note a 1 psi rise in your pressure gauge. Since your gauge has a "history", make darn sure the gauge is working. Add the same amount again every time you backwash.

2. CYA is fine for now.

3. Let go of your frustration as it is in the past. Focus on your future crystal clear pool.

We still need help as we still have cloudy water, blue but cloudy. Since we started the conversion June 1, have seen the print on the bottom of the pool twice and that was early in the conversion process.

We have good numbers, been diligently brushing, vacuuming, adding DE to filter after backwashing. What else can we do?

FC - 5
CC - 0
pH - 7.2 - 7.4
Alk - 225
Cya - 225

Have been using tabs in a floater and toppoing up each evening with bleach as we are having very hot, humid wether currently.

Have been waiting to have this crystal clear water everyone talks about with bleach! What else can we do to get that crystal clear water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.