Testing cya

Jun 11, 2012
Allentown, PA
I was testing for the first time and I'm assuming if the samPle itself of 7ml doesn't turn cloudy at all at the 14 ml point the cya level is extremely low. When I filled the glass the black dot disappeared suddenly but I think it was because of a top water reflection that made the dot verysuddenly disappear

Sound correct?

Once the dot disappeared I stopped filling and the gauge was about 30 but once I stopped filling the dot came back. The sample was 7 ml water and 7 ml cya agent and stirred yes.

I have a 4600 gal pool 14' 48" intex, and have added approximately 10.5 oz of the biclorinate granules with the stabilzaer into a utility water fresh fill.

I do my CYA test, normally in the A.M. with the sun at my back. I hold the vial 'navel' height just away from my body, so I can see straight down into the vial. I squirt a good amount of the mixture into the vial and swirl it to eliminate any bubbles. If dot is visible, I dispense a series of short squirts until the dot is gone.

After testing, I dump the contents from the vial, rinse the vial in pool water, briefly shake the sample bottle and perform the test again.

Regards,
-Gary

This is my first chance to look at some numbers. It appears from pool calculator that my CYA test is probably valid.

If I had ~4500 gallons of fresh water from the utilities and placed in 10 oz over a few days of diclor which I understand to be about 60% Cl and 40% Stabilizer? pool calculator is calling for 19 oz by volume of stabilizer to go from 0 to 30 so if I put 10 oz of diclor in only about 4 oz of stabilizer is in so far putting the CYA under detectable levels.

Can someone confirm this is about right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.