Aqua Rite no power. Wasn't CL or K1 relay

calm_like_a_bomb

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Hi all new to the forum figured I’d add something to the Aqua rite controller discussions. I was reading on here about the “no cell power” error, and stumbled across all the posts on the Aqua Rite current limiter (West1745’s post). I just ordered my 3rd cell from the pool supply guy. When I was messing with my old one, I noticed that sometimes once the K1 relay (I guess it could be K2?) clicked I lost all power to the display and lights.

After finding this place and reading about the current limiter issue, I assumed that was what was going on. I had previously replaced the main PCB (on my second one) and remember that it was the current limiter what was bad on my old board. I plugged the new salt cell in hoping it was the old defective one that was causing the power issue. I was still getting the same result, so I took the cover off the controller and looked at the K1 Relay, and the current limiter. Both looked good from the top of the board, so I pulled the board out and much to my surprise it looked perfect on the underside as well. At this point I was stumped. I was sure it was the CL just like it was last time, but it looked good. I noticed that when the relay clicked and the power when out, I could just push on the K1 relay and the power would return and the system would get no flow, then it would go to generating, then about 10 seconds later “click” and all the power would go off. Press the K1 again, lather, rinse repeat.

At this point I had just about decided that it was the K1 relay. I jiggled all the wire connections, and still the same. I pulled the fuse and it looked good. It was at this point I noticed that the plastic protector for one of the electrical connections didn’t look the same as the others on the board. The protector around the yellow wire (right near the fuse) had a dark black/purple ring around it just above where the wire entered the connector. When I went to pull the wire off the connector, the plastic piece crumbled to pieces. At this point I could see the yellow wire was burnt where it entered to the connector. I didn’t get a before picture but you can see the yellow wire is a little burnt at the connection.
salt%20controller.jpg

All I did at this point was to twist the connection back and forth to see if it was going to break off. It didn’t but I will probably replace it anyways. I put the connection back on and the system now stays on after the relay click (which I assume from reading here, is the cell being energized). I figured this might be helpful to check if you think you’ve got the CL/K1 issue before you start the solder process.

Thanks for providing such a great forum, and all the great info contained here.

CLB

ETA: I should probably point out, that if you have an older board, the yellow and orange wire are on the fuse holder, not on the actual PCB.

Reactions: emoran
Looks like the same problem I'm having!! I had someone come out to replace the limiter (I believe that's the correct term for "that big black circular thing") and the board started working again. But two weeks later, there was absolutely NO DISPLAY and NO LIGHTS on the circuit board at all. So then I thought it was either the fuse or the limiter again. But it was not. I even took my board to someone else's house that had the same exact pool system, hooked it up, and it came on! So I took it back to my house, and got nothing. No display. No lights.

So then I searched here on this site for answers and YOU posted this note which made me go out to check the yellow and orange wires. Bingo. The yellow wire looks a bit burned or charred at the exact point you show in your picture! Now.... The question is.... How to FIX it? Call a professional? I'm a bit of a do-it-yourselfer and I can fix simple stuff.... But what does this require me to do?

Sorry for the slow reply. I don't get on here as much as I'd like to. You should be able to buy that connector at HD or lowes. It's a pretty standard wire connector, they'll even have the correct type of pliers to crimp it on the wire.

I think most folks who find this place are "DIYers", at least to some extent. My question when I have to do electrical stuff, is why did it burn out in the first place. If I can't figure that out I'll usually call someone to fix it. In this case I'm 99.9% sure it was the bad SWG cell that cause the extra load and the wire to burn. I haven't had a single issue with my salt system since I posted this. (knock on wood).

I hope you got your system fixed and I'm glad this post helped.

CLB

Thanks for the reply! I haven't gotten up enough courage yet to fix it myself, but may try this weekend.

Something interesting to note about salt water pool systems.... did you know that one of the main causes for these boards to burn out is due to the fact that we are adding salt to the water while the system is running? Apparently if you do this, it causes an overload to the system and causes the circuitry to heat up and eventually burn out. What we're supposed to do is turn off the system, add salt, let it dissolve for a while and dilute in the pool water, and THEN turn on the system. Interesting, huh?

Thanks again,

Dan

My Aqua Rite recently started having a "problem" with regard to the "Power" LED light not being on as it should. All the diagnostics read out as they should. I decided to turn the pump/power off and then back on. . .

Once the pump/power was turned on, the following happens:

"No Flow" Light illuminates until the flow reaches a sufficient level, and then that light goes off.

"Generating" light illuminates for about 5 seconds but then goes off.

"Power" light sometimes will light briefly but does not come on and stay on as it should.

I really don't know if the unit is working or not since the diagnostic and "no flow" lights and levels seem to be working as they should.

Thought about the mini breaker inside but, if that is "shot", then how is everything else still working?

If you have any good ideas, please reply and/or send an email to me at [email protected]

I hate to call a repair service or replace this unit for nothing.

Many thanks!

Richard

Applecorps said:
My Aqua Rite recently started having a "problem" with regard to the "Power" LED light not being on as it should. All the diagnostics read out as they should. I decided to turn the pump/power off and then back on. . .

Once the pump/power was turned on, the following happens:

"No Flow" Light illuminates until the flow reaches a sufficient level, and then that light goes off.

"Generating" light illuminates for about 5 seconds but then goes off.

"Power" light sometimes will light briefly but does not come on and stay on as it should.

I really don't know if the unit is working or not since the diagnostic and "no flow" lights and levels seem to be working as they should.

Thought about the mini breaker inside but, if that is "shot", then how is everything else still working?

If you have any good ideas, please reply and/or send an email to me at [email protected]

I hate to call a repair service or replace this unit for nothing.

Many thanks!

Richard

Wow! I came here searching for answers about my new (to me) aquarite and am having the same issues.
I gave the unit power and it lights up does the no flow for a min then when I turn on it says generating. First time I left and did other stuff. When I came back to check on it the display was working, but zero other LEDs were on.
I removed power and started over with the same results. Display still works, but nothing else.

Eager to hear if this is easily solved or I have a $1000 hunk of junk on my hands.

I finally bit the bullet and called a reputable pool repair company to come out and run a diagnostics on my Hayward board. Bottom line.... the board was shot. So I had it replaced. $300 later, it works like a champ now. Worth the money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.