hayward shaft seal leaks

Jun 15, 2012
I have an inground pool. Over the years, I always used the Hayward pool pumps and never had an issue with them until this year.
The issue is the shaft seal. I’ve replaced the shaft seal 4 times and it still leaks after a few days of use.
This is in regard to the Maxflo. 3/4 horse. I’ve made certain that my fingers never touch the ceramic and I’ve also made sure that there is no
clicone on the ceramic. The part removed and the part installed are the same. spx1600z2.
Any suggesstions why the unit would leak after a few days use? Is there such a thing as a commercial or industrial grade shaft seal and would it make any difference?

Welcoem to TFP.

Vibration or out of alignment will cause reoccurring problems with seals.
Have you replaced the impeller?
Have you inspected the impeller to see if it's missing a part of a vane or out of balance?
Have you replaced the motor?
Have you instected the shaft to see if it's slightly bent?
Have you replaced the bearings in the motor?
Is the mounting plate tight to the motor?

Does the pump have any vibration or noise when running?

The impeller appears to be intact, that is all the fins are in place.The mounting plate appears to be tight. Although I appreciate your response, I don't see how the shaft would ever bend, there is no vibration different than what I am use to seeing, beside how could I test for a bent shaft or faulty bearing. The motor isn't making any noise other than what I am use to hearing.

It doesn't take much of a bend to adversely affect the seal. Same way with an out of balance issue.

Is this a new pump that you're having problems with or an existing pump that you just started having problems with?

Take the motor off and take something like a screwdriver and hold it against a solid rest. Let the end touch the end of the shaft and rotate the shaft. You'll be able to tell if it's slightly bent. As you're rotating the shaft see if you notice and drag or roughness while turning it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.