Cloudy water after adjusting CYA

Albee

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2011
Hi there,
Before we go to my question a little bit about me:
I bought a house with a fiber glass pool last July. I never had a pool before, so I went to the pool store to get water tested and my chemicals.
I found this awesome site shortly after and now I am able to maintain my pool with the help of your advise in pool school and in the threads. :goodjob:
Awesome job guys and thanks for having a webpage like that.

I wanted to get my level adjusted to whats recommended in Water Balance for SWGs.

Tech data:
Pool 22000 gallon fiber glass and SWG
SWG salt level at 3400 (2600 - 3200 rec)
Use the TFT test kit
Use pool calculator for calculating adjustments

Measurement 13th June
FC 3
PH 7.2
TA 40
CH 30
CYA 20

I adjusted CYA first as recommended with solid stabilizer (wallmart brand 100% cyanuric acid) on the 13th.

Measurement 14th June
FC 5 (had pump running 24h with pool vac to mix it)
PH 6.8
TA 40
CH 30 (need to adjust but waiting for online order to arrive as I need a ton of it)
CYA 70-80 (success)

On that day I noticed that the Water was very cloudy and was wondering if this comes from the stabilizer still floating around or from algae?

Then I wanted to tackle PH and TA so I added 20 mule Borax.

Measurement 15th June
FC 5
PH 8.2 (used pool calculator as always for it targeted 7.6 and that didn't quite work out so well. Need to add Muriatic acid to lower this afternoon. Then I also wanted to tackle TA after measuring it as Borax will probably raised it).
Wife did measurements this morning. I need to do full measurements when I am home this afternoon from work.
Also wife reported that cloudiness seams to be gone almost completely.

It would be great if some one could look at this and tell me if the CYA change introduced Algae into my pool and if I need to do anything now to prevent this from getting worse.
Thanks guys.

Cloudiness will not happen because of CYA, except indirectly if the increased CYA level means your FC level is too low and algae gets going.

You need to get your PH under control. When making large changes don't used the entire calculated dose at once. Instead use half or two thirds, let it mix in, test again, and continue adjusting from there.

Hi JasonLion,
thanks for your reply. I didn't know that I couldn't do it in one go.
Yes, I wanted to tackle the PH this afternoon.

It there anything in addition that I need to do right now because of the past cloudiness?
How do I know if I have algae right now?
Is cloudiness a normal process that happens once in a while in the pool eg. when you have a lot of people in it or is this the first warning sign that something isn't right?

Cloudiness shouldn't happen if everything is going correctly. The most common cause of cloudiness is algae that is just starting. There are also a hundred other things that can cause cloudy water, all much less likely. Cloudiness, or even just a slight loss of sparkle, is a good warning sign that something is going wrong.

Cloudiness is gone after I upped chlorine and got all values in the right area.

FC 5
PH 7.6
TA 85
CH 250
CYA 80

Sparkling clear pool.
Temp is 87 with the new solar system.
Family and neighbors love it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.