Need to buy new pump/filter........recommendations?

Jun 15, 2012
New to the forum. We've had our pool for 4 summers now (21' 54"). Last summer and already this summer the pump/filter have not been working great at all. We constantly have no pressure, are bumping/draining and pouring more DE in all the time....only to have slow pressure within 30 min. There is a lovely rattling noise coming from the pump that started last summer too.

So I'm guessing a new pump/filter is in order. I know DE is said to clean better, but we might be leaning toward sand just for the ease of use (although I'm sure if the pump/filter were working correctly DE wouldn't be that much harder).

Any recommendations on brands, etc? From what I've researched we would need a 1hp pump, and would a 2 speed be a better option?? Filter systems, any brands better than others?

Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

For that size pool a ½ hp pump would be fine but they're hard to find, so I'd suggest a 3/4 hp 2-speed pump. Since that appears to be an aboveground pool the Pentair Dynamo is a good choice and it comes in a 2-speed 3/4 hp model.

Having said that, I'd first suggest you take the casing off the front of the pump and see if something is stuck in the impeller. From your description it sounds like that's the problem.

Which pump and filter do you have?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.