Old pump

May 5, 2012
My 13 yo Hayward 1 1/2hp pump is stating to sound like a freight train. It is doing its job nicely but I'm thinking the pool graveyard will be in its future based on the sounds. Even though it is that old really it's only on 4 maybe 5 months out of the year. Is that old? If so any recommendations for a new one? Have to say I love this sight....it's the first summer in probably 5 yrs that I haven't had to run to the pool store and spend thousands over the course of the summer to keep the pool balanced!!

You could get the bearings replaced, which should solve the noise. Better yet, replace just the motor with a two speed motor, which will save you significantly on electricity in most situations.

13 years is fairly good for a motor. They can last anywhere from 3 years to 20 years, with both ends of the range being rare/unusual.

I just rebuilt a 15 year old Hayward superpump. I bought three things: A two speed higher efficiency motor, 1.3 SF, a new impeller, and a full seal kit. The rest of that pump is built like a tank and once cleaned up and fitted with all new gaskets, is running like a new pump. The motor costs $300, the seal/gasket kit was about $22 and the impeller was about $20. Whole lot cheaper than a new two speed pump with high efficiency motor. Took me about an hour to rebuild it, most of the time was spent scrubbing all the parts of water deposits.

Found all the parts by seaching the internet. The gasket kit and impeller came via Amazon. The motor is an AO Smith I got at another website. Look on the old motor, it is probably a 56J frame, really common. Then just find one by HP and current draw. I also googled "rebuilding Hayward Superpump" and found a video where the guy took one apart right in front of me. He showed how to take it apart, how to remove the impeller, how to change the main seal. The rest is really easy. Just make sure not to get any lubricant of any kind, including finger grease, on the surfaces of the main seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.