Replacing my single stage pump with ...?

Jun 15, 2012
Goal: Make my home even more energy efficient. Even with low energy rates.

I have 2 pumps, standard 1.5HP 1.1SF (8a * 230v) and booster (6.4a * 230v). They are 9 years old and i tested the watts on each and discovered they run 1875w+1300w, when running together. I run the main pump 12 hours a day and the booster for 4 hours. (29k pool, standard Bleach)

I would like to replace these pumps with more energy efficient pumps.

Main pump:
My energy rate is slightly less than $.09 a Kwh. So i am thinking a basic two stage pump. But I am open to a VS pump, but not sure I can justify the additional expense. I am thinking of adding a SWG system in the future. But the autopilot says it needs atleast 20GPM to work? How can I tell if the low speed setting on pumps would meet that minimum requirement? (I would hate to have run in high mode to get SWG to work; defeats the purpose of energy reduction) Do other SWG systems have a minimum flow rate requirement too?

I have looked at simply replacing the motor (US Motor, AO Smith), but that appear to be as much as a brand new pump! $600-1100!

Booster pump:
I am thinking of replacing my pressure Polaris with a robotic cleaner. 24volt should save some energy.

Any thoughts on the questions above concerning SWG minimum flow rate with 2 speed systems? Also what are the most energy efficient pumps these days? minimum number of amps or watts being used at the low speed?

Welcome to TFP!

The Pentair Super pump is a very energy efficient pump, or for something a little larger the Pentair WhisperFlo, both best in their two speed versions.

A robotic cleaner will cost a fair bit to purchase, but will use way less electricity than the booster pump.

How much water flow you get at low speed depends on many details of your plumbing and the size of the pump. The smallest WhisperFlo at low is almost certain to get 20 GPM, while the SuperFlo, which is smaller at the same listed HP, is a little iffy but more likely to work than not. If you tells some details of how your plumbing is setup we can estimate water flow. The most important info is pipe size, pipe length, filter pressure, and how many runs you have between the equipment pad and the pool in each direction.

JasonLion said:
If you tells some details of how your plumbing is setup we can estimate water flow. The most important info is pipe size, pipe length, filter pressure, and how many runs you have between the equipment pad and the pool in each direction.

Let me estimate as best I can. We purchased this house 2 years old, so I do not know the exact info.
pipe size: 2.5" pipes (expect the booster pump which is 2" pipes)
pipe length: (as the "bird" flies; as i do not know exactly where the pipes are under ground
2 bottom suction intakes that merge into one pipe near the pump: ~80 feet away from pump
2 Skimmers intakes that merge into one pipe near the pump: Skimmer A ~75 feet away from pump; Skimmer B ~ 40 feet away from pump
both these intakes merge with a manual switch at entrance of the pump.
Pump feeds a 60 SQft DE filter about 1.5 feet away.
Filter exits to another manual switch back to pool; both 2.5 inch pipes. but either 100/0 or 50/50 or 0/100
One outtake pipe feeds a waterfall that we only use for company.
One outtake pipe feeds 4 jets; could be anywhere 35'-110' away
Booster pump pipe goes about 50' to the pool in a 2" pipe.

Filter pressure: 12-14 start up pressure
How many runs you have between the equipment pad and the pool in each direction (sort of answered above)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.