Adding a second filter

Jun 14, 2012
MA
As I am waiting for my 15' - 4' Metal tube Intex pool to be shipped to Walmart, I am planning on adding a second filter to the pool. I have a junk Intex pool that I am going to cut out the two ports and glue them to the new pool. I have a few questions. Where should I mount the ports and what type of glue should I use. Also is it a good idea to cut out the ports and glue them on or should I try to buy ports somewhere that screw together with a washer.
I am thinking of mounting the new out port a the same height as the old one but about 8" away. I might mount intake port about 6" below the other intake port. I am trying to minimize any money being spent. The pool cost $299.00 and I would like to keep additional costs low. I am going to use the crappy filter that comes with the pool along with another filter that I have from my old Intex pool. I am going to buy some filter cartridges from Pleatco.
I ran my 12'-3' Intex pool with the carrtridge filter for two years and it was always crystal clear. I only ran the filter for 6 hours a day. I live in MA and we do not have any dust blowing around, just leaves and pollen.

Getting a better pump/filter to replace the existing one is a far far better idea than using two of the low quality Intex cartridge filters. Even the small Intex sand filter would work far better than having two of their cartridge filters.

I know that getting a better filter would be a good idea but I am trying to not spend any money. A sand filter is going to be atleast $150.00. Money is tight for me, I shouldn't of even bought this pool. I originally picked up a free 15' Intex pool from Craigslist but the thing is beat and leaks, so that drove me to spend $299 on this pool. I have three kids if I buy a new filter we will have to cancel our July 4th camping trip.

It had a "field engineered" look to it, but I used to run a 2nd filter by setting it on top of a spare ladder and just laying the hoses into the water. I'd shut it off whenever the kids got in as I'm sure they'd cause it to suck air. No extra holes in the pool, no fittings to leak, and 100% reversible in an instant. It also got a slight whirlpool going which helped condense the dirt into the center of the pool, which made it easier to vacuum.

The problem with used filters on Craigslist is that they are all large filters and the cheap ones > $100.00 need work. I have a Hayward DE filter that a friend gave me but it needs a rebuild on the pump motor, bad bearings. It is also missing a few valves. Everyone telling me to get another filter is about as useful as telling me to get a real pool. If I had the money I would of bought a used real pool. I am trying to have a pool for $299.
I ran my 12-3 foot pool for two years with a single cartridge filter and had no problems. I only cleaned the filter once a week and used the same two filters all year. My water was crystal clear, not almost crystal clear but crystal clear. I believe that my 15-4 foot pool will be equally crystal clear with two filters running. I am just wondering if anyone has added additional inlet and outlet ports to their pool and how they did it. I am thinking the #100 vinyl glue or the #700 vinyl glue since it is a dry job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pumps and filters are typically bought as separate components, not all as one. You mentioned you bought a used filter, but had to replace a bunch of pump parts. My point is, I replaced my filter and still have my 20 year old pump. You don't have to replace the pump to replace the filter.

I think the concern is that if you cut your pool to install the other pump and filter that one of these days when you upgrade to a sandfilter or whatever, you'll have two additional holes to fill. However, if this is a temporary pool for you and you're never planning on upgrading your equipment, then I think you should go for it. Another cost consideration is that you'll have double usage of electricity and two filter cartridges you'll have to maintain, so I'm not sure if it'll be cost effective or not.

RobbieH said:
Pumps and filters are typically bought as separate components, not all as one. You mentioned you bought a used filter, but had to replace a bunch of pump parts. My point is, I replaced my filter and still have my 20 year old pump. You don't have to replace the pump to replace the filter.
I don't want to sound mean but in my post I said that someone gave me a filter setup and that the pump needs to be rebuilt. So I have a big DE filter which needs some valves but the pump doesn't work. Also the pump is 3/4 hp which would waste a lot of electricity.
The two filters/pumps which I am going to use are very low power and will use less than 150 watts of power vs 550 watts for the 3/4 hp pump.
The bottom line is that if I add two filters, that I already have, it will cost me the price of the glue and two or four new cartridges.

I'll throw my 2 cents in...I wouldn't cut your pool. Most likely you might be dissatisfied with the intex cartridges soon enough (as the majority are). I would just do what Big_kid mentioned (and others have done) and just drape the extra pumps hoses over the side temporarily, at least until you have run a few weeks and have decided if you are satisfied with the solution.

I have gotten great deals (helped others) on filters off of craigslist with working pump and filters and valves, so I would not give up on that route either.

Also, you would most likely save energy with the 3/4 hp pump you mentioned, since you would generally run it for a much much shorter time then the intex pumps with net much more effective filtering and the possiblity of using a vacuum in the future.

If you don't like the draping the hoses over the side idea, could you use some PVC pipe and elbows to go up the side of the pool, turn 90 degrees, cross over the edge of pool, and then turn 90 degrees straight down into the pool? That would allow you to hang them on the side of the pool, they wouldn't fall out or get kicked out by kids, you could run them down to near the bottom as well....

That is not a bad idea. I am not worried about having to block the new ports if I do give in a buy a real filter. I could just cap them off or use both inlets and outlets with a new filter/pump. My concern is will the new ports leak. I am planning on cutting the old ports from the old pool and glueing them on to the new pool. Has anyone here ever added additional ports to an Intex pool? I have seen people adding a skimer so cutting the liner must not compromise the strength of the sidewall. This is after all a somewhat temporary pool but they do last, my two year old Intex 12' pool is still in perfect shape. I am sure in a couple of years I will want a bigger pool with real sidewalls and a deck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.