Sand Filter Vs. DE Filter

Tammi

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2010
My sand filter has a crack in it and needs replacement--wondering if we should switch to a DE filter. I know DE cleans better, but I feel a little intimidated with a switch....the sand is so easy, and I think my pool stays pretty clean. I have a Hayward 1 HP Power Flow Matrix for a 21' AG pool.

Re: Sand Filter "Underdrain Hub"

I purchased a Hayward S180T Sand Filter. Directions say "Be sure pipe is securely in place in bottom underdrain hub." However, there is nothing that the pipe can fit securely in. Rather, the pipe (with its laterals) just kind of balances itself with the concave of the canister, but it is by no means "secure"...??? Am I missing a piece that this pipe should secure onto? Your help is greatly appreciated...I've got to get this filtration going today before my chlorine drops to 0.

Hi, Tammi,

Don't double post your question. I deleted the other one.

I think you are ok. As I remember my center pipe did get "screwed in" or anchored, either. I think it just fits into that bottom hub and the weight of the sand hold it in place. I seem to remember having to hold the center pipe when I first started to put in the sand to keep it perfectly in the center of the filter body.

Thank you so much for your reply! And sorry about double posting...after I posted it here, I wasn't sure if it would be seen again under my previous question re: sand vs de....thanks again!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.