First the numbers, courtesy of my beloved TF-100:

FC 3
pH 7.6
TA 70
CH 1400(!)
CYA 40
Borate 50

Plaster pool, using the BBB method.

My CSI is currently .43, but because of my ozonator the pH tends towards 7.8 which moves the CSI to 0.59. Looking directly at the water at a perpendicular looks clear, but looking at an angle with the shine shining in you see a lot of "dust," which I am now assuming to be due to the high CH.

My fill water has a CH of 200 (Vegas water is awful).

So my question is: Am I crazy for planning on replacing 100% of the water? I'm not concerned about the cost, but I wouldn't do it if I didn't feel it was necessary. Part of my rationale is that I already did a 100% drain & fill last year about this time, so it didn't take that long for the CH to rocket back up.

In this vein, I want to confirm it would be a definite no-no to do the water replacement with water from my softener? I believe I would then start off with a CH of close to 0, which would then put my CSI at something close to -2.41.

It's kind of unfortunate, since thanks to the BBB, all my other levels (CYA, Borates) are very steady.

Thanks!

VegasPoolRat

Re: Draining a High CH Pool and Filling with Highish CH Wate

Yes, with CH over 1,000 you need to do something to get the CH level down. Assuming you have a plaster/pebble/quartz/tile pool the best thing is a complete water replacement (or a reverse osmosis treatment if available in your area).

Re: Draining a High CH Pool and Filling with Highish CH Wate

I want to confirm it would be a definite no-no to do the water replacement with water from my softener?
Not at all. If you could replace say 70% of your current water with the CH 200 water, you could then start using your softener and manage your CH down to as low as you want. You will use a lot of salt but I would sure consider it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.