How many swimmers does it take to replace a pool light....

May 30, 2009
Columbia, TN
I really don't have a great punch line...sorry :oops:

Anyway... I have water inside the light fixture. I am scared to death of electricity and water. What do I need to do (I assume replace the whole thing :?: ) and HOW do I do it?

Thanks for any advice!
Kelly

Re: How many swimmers does it take to replace a pool light..

Water in the fixture usually means the fixture is shot. But it is often worth getting a new bulb and a new seal gasket and trying to see if you can reseal the fixture and get it to work.

If that doesn't work, then you need to replace the fixture. Here are the super short directions:

Buy a new light fixture that will fit in your existing niche.
Turn the light off at the circuit breaker.
Remove the light fixture retaining screw.
Locate the light junction box and disconnect the light cord from all connections.
Cut the cable at the light fixture.
Connect the lose end of the new cable to the newly cut end of the old cable.
Pull the new cable through using the old cable, pulling from the junction box.
Leave enough cable out by the fixture to comfortably place the fixture on the deck.
Cut the new cable to length at the junction box.
Connect the new cable to all connections in the junction box.
Coil up the extra cable behind the fixture and secure the fixture in the niche.
Turn the circuit breaker back on and test the light.
Seal up the junction box.

There are a couple of things that might prevent this from working. The most common is that the cable might be epoxied into the back of the niche. Or the conduit might have crushed, preventing the old cable from pulling out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.