NINE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY TWO UNREAD POSTS!?!?!?!

G

why wont they clear. i have logged off, cleared my cookies. restarted my computer. but the number just keeps growing and right now its at 972 unread posts. even though i have read most of them.

how can i clear them, as its hard to sift through old stuff to find new stuff :eek: :?

Ok, have you tried to solve the problem on your own? This is truly more than likely a cookie problem, I don't know what browser you are using, but here is a couple tutorials that tell you how to delete your history and cookies.

For Internet Explorer 5 and above, you can follow these directions to clear out temporary files and delete cookies.

1) Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools
2) Click on Internet Options
3) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
4) You may also want to check the box "Delete all offline content"
5) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the temporary internet files
6) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that websites have placed on your hard drive.

To clear the Internet History in IE:

3) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Clear History
4) Click OK

To clean up other temporary files on your computer in Windows 98 or higher:

1) Click Start, Programs (or All Programs), Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup
2) Choose the correct drive usually C:\
3) Check the boxes in the list and delete the files

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FIREFOX

Step1
Close out windows and tabs. This first step involves getting your browser use under control when you have too many pages open. To close a window, click on the close button at the top right. Closing a window with multiple tabs will close all of the tabs in that window: alternately, you can choose to close only one or more tabs singly.
Step2
Choose one or more "Clear Private Data" options by going to the "Tools" link and down to "Clear Private Data."
Step3
Clear different parts of your data queue by checking or unchecking lines of the resulting window. You can choose to delete one or all of: Browsing history, saved form and search history, Download History, Cache, Cookies, Saved Passwords or Authenticated Sessions.
Step4
Open history in the sidebar and delete individual browsing history links one by one. This is an alternate method to blanket-deleting by choosing "Browsing History" under "Clear Private Data."
Step5
Clear individual downloads. Open the downloads window and click on "Remove" next to a download to delete it from your download list.
Step6
Find relevant folders and delete info at its source. For cookies, find the folder that holds them and delete them singly or in bulk. There are some cookies that are difficult to delete this way, but most of them will simply disappear.

sevver said:
Ok, have you tried to solve the problem on your own? This is truly more than likely a cookie problem, I don't know what browser you are using, but here is a couple tutorials that tell you how to delete your history and cookies.

For Internet Explorer 5 and above, you can follow these directions to clear out temporary files and delete cookies.

5) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the temporary internet files
6) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that websites have placed on your hard drive.

4) Click OK

1) Click Start, Programs (or All Programs), Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FIREFOX

Step1
Close out windows and tabs. This first step involves getting your browser use under control when you have too many pages open. To close a window, click on the close button at the top right. Closing a window with multiple tabs will close all of the tabs in that window: alternately, you can choose to close only one or more tabs singly.
Step2
Choose one or more "Clear Private Data" options by going to the "Tools" link and down to "Clear Private Data."
Step3
Clear different parts of your data queue by checking or unchecking lines of the resulting window. You can choose to delete one or all of: Browsing history, saved form and search history, Download History, Cache, Cookies, Saved Passwords or Authenticated Sessions.
Step4
Open history in the sidebar and delete individual browsing history links one by one. This is an alternate method to blanket-deleting by choosing "Browsing History" under "Clear Private Data."
Step5
Clear individual downloads. Open the downloads window and click on "Remove" next to a download to delete it from your download list.
Step6
Find relevant folders and delete info at its source. For cookies, find the folder that holds them and delete them singly or in bulk. There are some cookies that are difficult to delete this way, but most of them will simply disappear.

got one for Mac, could using the mac be my issue???? i use Safari. thanks for yalls help.

In Safari you can use "Reset Safari..." on the Safari menu, or open "Preferences..." on the Safari menu, select the Security tab, click on Show Cookies, select all the lines that have troublfreepool in them, they should all be together about 2/3rds of the way down, click on remove.

JasonLion said:
In Safari you can use "Reset Safari..." on the Safari menu, or open "Preferences..." on the Safari menu, select the Security tab, click on Show Cookies, select all the lines that have troublfreepool in them, they should all be together about 2/3rds of the way down, click on remove.

i clicked reset Safari and it WORKED. THANKS. 8)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
waterbear said:
sevver said:
but there really aren't many Mac users out there yet.

??????????????????????????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyway, Safari has been released for Windoze and it's an awesome browser!

Well, I don't know many Mac users. Although, I have worked on a few, and I do find them probably even more intuitive than a windows machine. I would like to run it in Virtual Machine for a while and see if I am really ready to dump $2500 on a laptop or not.

Mac user here as well, finally switched completely over 2 years ago, one 17" 5 year old powerbook for me, one 3 year old ibook for my youngest daughter, one 17" 3 year old "cantaloupe" imac for my oldest daughter, her old emac for my wife, and a 2 year old 20" imac for my desk at home. All running without the slightest hint of any spyware/malware/anti-virus/trojan removing programs, all without the slightest problem, knock on wood! At work I am still a slave to the mighty PC, and our IT manager is the biggest mac hater out there (job security), so no change on the horizon, if he only new! Anyway, if you ever get a chance, give it a try, that was what I was told, and now look at me! I now try to spread the word to those who have an open mind or who might be interested, if nothing else, piece of mind has to be worth something...

Greg

$1200 imac

$1100 macbook

$2000 macbook pro

All this below VS. clicking 'reset' and it works...you tell me which is more user friendly :lol:

Mac and PC user here, I worked for usability lab support for Windows Vista through the beta stages in Redmond for Microsoft, I can tell you they were doing the best they could to copy Jaguar (yes, first hand knowledge).

No need for a mac vs. pc debate, they each have their place in this world & their machines are not all $2500, you can go get a mini for $500 and use your current keyboard, monitor, mouse or an iMac or iBook starts around $999; We've gotten quite a few products referbised from Apple via their website, usually save another 10 - 30% there. Also, they have special educational for students and teachers!

I just get tired of people getting upset about the cost, when it comes down to it, it's really no more expensive than a PC, lasts longer and is more user friendly. Oh, and it comes with just about all the software you need, unless you need MS office, oh, yeah, and your paying Microsoft for that one so don't ***** about the Apple cost :D

Rant off...sorry...and I'm typing on my PC right now, I let my Mac sleep till work :D

sevver said:

4) Click OK

FIREFOX

Step1
Step2
Step3
Step4
Step5
Step6

Bottom line --Mac's run 'nix with a custom GUI these days. Darwin is a BSD variant. This is a major reason for their dependability. The NT kernal that windoze uses was based on and old version of OS/2 and was essentially unchanged until Vista.

When it comes time to get a new computer I will probably get a mac. I have SEVERAL computers now, 1 laptop, 1 desktop for me, 2 desktops for my kids, and a few others, one that I will put in my garage, and if the lady doesn't come and get it, I have another laptop here that needs CD's in order to get fixed. I have a sneaking suspicion it may be stolen...

So, a mac is definitely no more expensive, but I do alot graphically for my church. I work on a ton of photoshop/imageready animations, and I want to get into video editing and making. Another thing, I am seriously pushing for digital sound recording and putting things out on CD. So if I were to get a mac, it would be expensive. But, to get a PC with comparable specs, it would be just as expensive.

Well, I am a pc user, would love a mac, but stuck on price. Sure, over time, the cost of a mac is lower, but I don't have the cash available to drop all at once, and we don't do credit anymore... So I stick to PC. My new dell laptop is plenty good for my purposes, for about $500, not counting Office, which I got free from work anyway. Got the cheapest business machine, so it was not preloaded with a bunch of trial-ware and junk that I will not need or use.

Ya gotta love the Mac v. PC commercials tho... They don't say ANYTHING that a PC user does not already know!! (It's all Mac's fault!)

The Mermaid Queen said:
Well, I am a pc user, would love a mac, but stuck on price. Sure, over time, the cost of a mac is lower, but I don't have the cash available to drop all at once, and we don't do credit anymore... So I stick to PC. My new dell laptop is plenty good for my purposes, for about $500, not counting Office, which I got free from work anyway. Got the cheapest business machine, so it was not preloaded with a bunch of trial-ware and junk that I will not need or use.

Ya gotta love the Mac v. PC commercials tho... They don't say ANYTHING that a PC user does not already know!! (It's all Mac's fault!)

Are you a Dave Ramsey follower too? We also do not do credit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.