Air bubbles out of return jets

G

So we have been noticing that there is air bubbles coming out of our return jets........we have checked the pump basket and that seal seems to be tight, we are losing no pressure in our pump, but we have been noticing some water loss on a daily basis, although we are near Chicago, we do not have a solar cover, and it has been windy and cool in the evenings........not sure if these 2 issues are related. We attempted to do a bucket test for the water loss, but we think the test is flawed as we have no where in the pool to put the bucket so it has to sit on the patio, and would get closer to the outside temp quicker. Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions to figure where the air is coming from would be helpful..........I am attaching a pic of our pump and filter[attachment=0:2flus2r9]2012-06-14 16.30.05.jpg[/attachment:2flus2r9]

Attachments

• 2012-06-14 16.30.05.jpg
    2012-06-14 16.30.05.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 496
Watching the return jets, I would say that every 5 seconds or so, a burst of air comes out and bubbles come to the surface and the pump does hold prime when shut off...........the pump basket lid is kinda old and hard to really tell but it does look like there is tiny bubbles entering

Thanks so much for your help.....we are first time pool owners and trying to do this all ourselves.

WOW thank you so much for your help.......while running water over the pump basket the bubbles were almost gone and the pipe going into the pump basket has a leak........when my husband put the hose by the pipe the bubbles were totally gone............We are so very thankful for this site...........and while running the water over the pump basket, the jet closest to the pump was coming out normally with no bubbles, the jet farthest away still had some bubbles.......but I am assuming takes longer to get the air out of the one farthest away.

I think you solved it. You can probably simply replace that O-ring in the pump basket lid and then perhaps tighten or remake that joint that is leaking and you will be good to go?

I am surprised you were able to hold prime. How many hours are you running your pump daily?

When first opened, we ran 24/7 for about a week or so, we installed a new vinly liner around mid - May , and now are running between 10 and 12 hours..........he did notice that when he took the pipe out and cleaned it up......when he went to put the pipe back in , it seems loose and wobbly, so we are thinking that pipe needs to be replaced..........

Went out and got new fittings and they fit more securely than the old, so I think we will be good to go.........I can't thank you enough for your help.......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.