New owner of old pool First Test

ontuy

Mar 26, 2008
Indiana
Good evening all.

I finally have my filter replaced (Hayward S180T Sand), Plumbing is not leaking :-D .

Finished filling the pool with local city water.

6300 Gallons (12X20Xaverage 4' oval)

Temp 60'
FC .5
CC 1
TC 1.5
pH 7.2
T/A 250
CH 400 (not sure on this result)
CYA Probably 0 (nothing has been added at the time of the test)

Water is somewhat cloudy because it sat 2/3 full for about a week and a half waiting for the filter work to be done.

I added two cups of 12.5% chlorine and 2 cups of Acid after the tests.

Used my new TF-100 kit. This is my first time ever testing water so if the results look a little skewed lets call it operator error and tell me to try again.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

It sounds like you are right on track! The acid will lower the PH to around 7.0, and with some aeration and repetition you bring the TA down. FC will go up to about 2.5 from the chlorine, which is appropriate without any CYA and should start to take care of the CC. I would monitor the FC level fairly closely. If you have algae, which is likely, you may need to raise it several times before you beat the algae.

Thanks for the confirmation guys!

I will direct the return jet towards the surface to get some aeration.

Will I need to add more acid do you think?

At what point should I start adding the CYA?

I will BBB my way to perfect water!

Just wait until you see my pretty plumbing job! I will get some pics up real soon.

Will I have trouble testing my CYA level since the TF100 starts at 20?
A little bit but it's not too troublesome. The important thing is to calculate your dosage as carefully as you can for your size pool. The CYA test is really only accurate for around + or - 10ppm so your accuracy with the dose will be a better indicator than the test. Keep in mind it will not show up on the test for as long as a week after you add it so don't test right away. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.