what do you think?

Aug 9, 2010
Here is a short version of the story- I fill my pool with water from a pond. For some reason, the water level was really low when we opened the pool, so we put in 3/4 pond water. No leak in the liner, checked and it's holding water no problem. It's a 15x30 AG Oval pool with a hayward ec40 filter. I started to clean the pool and all was coming along nicely, then I lost pressure for the flow of water coming back into the pool. I am now currently soaking the fingers to the filter in dishwasher/water solution for the day. Later on, it is my intention to give it an acid bath. CYA is only b/w 15-20 (added enough for 20 a few days ago but it isn't all registering yet). The pool is green and since I haven't been able to have the filter in, I stopped adding chlorine and let the FC level go back to nothing. Here is where the question comes in- the guy at the pool store told me to go ahead and clean the filter, put it all back together and then dump 5 gallons of liquid chlorine into the pool. What do you think? I was doing what was suggested in the post "turn your green pool into a sparkling oasis" with the add, test..... and so on. If I just dumped 5 gallons in, would it hurt the equipment? liner? give any benefit? He also said to backwash a couple of times a day and nightly take the fingers off and spray them off with a hose. Any advice from someone with more experience than me?

Did he ask what size pool you have, and what your CYA level is? I am wondering where he got the 5 gal number. At least he told you liquid chlorine.

You don't need to backwash until your pressure dictates it.

Read up on how to shock your pool:
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

You are going to need a good test kit like the TF-100 from tftestkits.net to shock your pool.

Follow the oasis post listed on this site. Adding too much chlorine at once may raise the FC to a point where it will certainly damage your liner and other equipment. There is no benefit (beside being lazier and not needing to test and add as often).

The process described here is safe.

Backwash when you pressure rises 20-25% of the clean pressure.

No~ he didn't ask any questions. Just threw the # out there. That's kind of why I was asking here. I do have a good testing kit (TF100) and was doing it the way recommended on here originally. I just second guessed myself when the filter went ka-put and asked what he thought, b/c I'm still not confident in myself. When he said that, I thought it a little odd but wondered what others thought. I guess I'll be going back at it tomorrow, when the filter is clean. Thanks for the input.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Many hardware stores also carry it. If your husband allows you to go to the big box home improvement stores...most of them have it too (at least around here in MN). Should be no need to go in the pool store :twisted:

yep, those stores are OK. It's just a principle thing with Walmart :) Plus, every time we've been in there, we get a good wiff of BO and sights of things that nobody should have to see :)
I will check at Lowes for stabilizer next time- never even thought to look there :) Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.