Paramount Debris Cannister and MDX-R3 suction issues

Vonrussell

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
Central Texas
We have finally completed our pool and are able to enjoy it in the fine Texas heat. We decided to go with a Paramount PV-3 cleaning system with a MDX-R3 drain and a Debris Cannister. The infloor cleaner works great but there does not appear to be any suction from the main drain or the side port on the debris cannister. The PB told me that the MDX has an anti-vortex cap on the drain so I will never feel any suction. That just sounds wrong, but maybe he is right. Also I was told that the side port on the debris cannister, is an equalizer port and that it will not provide any suction. I pointed out that the Paramount website shows that you can use the port with a cleaner. To which I was told that is correct if we only had a pool and not a pool/spa. Again, that does not sound right.

The PB built a good pool but I don't think they are that knowledgable with the Paramount products. Does anyone know if he was correct in his explanations or were they just trying to placate me with an answer that could be right.

Thanks for your help.

An easy way to test for suction on the drain is to use something fluttery like a leaf and see if it gets sucked in. Is it possible that you have a valve controlling the drain suction that's closed off? I don't know about the side port, sorry!

Here is the advice I got:

"VGB laws resulted in the reduction of the velocity of water going through the main drain, so the PB is right – you shouldn’t be able to feel suction on it. No matter what, to ensure proper operation, the customer should throttle the skimmer down to ¼ of the way open (for normal operation).

To test to make sure the main drain’s working: turn the pump on and put a plastic grocery bag over the side drain so that it’s completely covered. Close the skimmer completely so that all the suction is coming from the main drain. If the main drain is plugged or not working properly the pump will start making all sorts of noise and you’ll know right away."

For that second part, if your pump starts making strange noises, you should shut it off immediately and call your PB.

You can always call Paramount directly at (800) 621-5886
Unlike many other manufacturers (especially this time of year), there is rarely ever any hold time. They are very responsive and helpful!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.