Question about CYA

Jun 9, 2012
This may be a very stupid question...but...

Is it possible to have CYA in your water if you have not added any yet? I.E. is there a naturally occuring chemical process that creates some on its own?

No and No.

Did a pool store tell you that there was some in your pool when you have not added any? That is not uncommon.

But, remember, if you have used dichlor or trichlor, then you have added some.

No, the only even remotely common source of CYA is pool chemicals. Several pool chemicals contain CYA, for example trichlor tablets contain CYA. But it doesn't occur naturally. I suppose it is remotely possible for someone to use trichlor tablets as part of a well water sanitation system, but that would be extremely unusual.

Why do you think there is already CYA in the water?

No, rather it was the opposite. I went in to a pool store and was looking at the CYA products and the guy asked me about my pool. I explained it's a few days old with fresh water, etc. and his response was "how do you know you even need CYA if you haven't tested your water yet?"

Basically, I just wanted to make sure I was having the correct thought process before running a test that I didn't need to do yet.

Appreciate the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.