Jan 25, 2008
Austin, TX
FC 1.5
CC .5
PH 7.5
TA 120
CH 200
CYA >100 (150 by pool store)

Now, the background.. My wife and I bought this house late last October.. I have never owned a pool before.. I bought a book, did some research, and stumbled on this site. The initial test from poolstore was bad, the pool looked great but the PH was around 6, TA was way low, and CYA was high (almost 200). Since it was inground vinyl I didnt want to drain it, and being near winter I worked on getting TA back, and then straightening out the PH.. then put the cover on. Opened it up this spring, using BBB only to revive it,.. and after working a bit, water is clear, here are current numbers(I did this before adding the bleach today so not to skew the numbers):

Current plan:

- Get Liquidator.. use bleach only
- "over backwash" and 'top off' to work on moving CYA down ( I might have to work on one of the returns soon which would make me drain a bit.. so I am waiting to get the right parts for that so I wont have to do it twice)
- monitor regularly

Thoughts? I have learned a lot just reading posts here.. wanted to see if I am on the right course.

32x16 in-ground vinyl
18,000 gallons
Sand Filter, 1.5 hp
One skimmer, main drain feed, 3 returns
Auto Chlorinator (pucks,not in use)
Using bleach at the moment, liquidator on order
Austin, TX

You really want to get your CYA down, but you know that already.

You need to adjust your FC level based on the current CYA level. With CYA of 150 you need to maintain a FC level of at least 12, and preferably more like 15.

Your other numbers are good. You can let TA go down to the 70 to 90 range, but there is no reason to put effort into making that happen right away.

Welcome to TFP! :)

That is a great first post! Water test #'s, pool/equipment info AND A Plan!

I see you have a great test kit!

When you get time, please post pix. We just love 'em. :-D

Attachments

• poolpump1.jpg
    poolpump1.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 13
  • pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 13
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.