Automatic pool cover won't open

atdale

Jun 13, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
I'm opening my pool for the season (I know, it's late! :-D ). When I turn the key to the cover, the motor turns and the cover starts to roll and then it hesitates and goes backwards, starts over, and this keeps repeating. It's like it's stuck on something. I just had the motor replaced and the cover serviced last year when I closed it. I hosed down the tracking in case there was debris, sprayed WD-40, turned the wheels a few times to make sure they were rolling ok, all to no avail. Any suggestions?

Welcome to TFP!

The cover motor is designed to shut down if it meets too much resistance, so it won't teat the cover apart. If you can find what is causing the extra resistance it will be easy to fix. Sometimes it is easy to find the problem area, other times it can require some methodical searching. Do you have easy access to the cover well? Often if you look in there you can spot where something is getting caught on something and free it up. Also, check along the cover track and see if there is anywhere that feels jammed. Usually there is enough slack to slide the cover back and forth a little. But if something is jammed the cover won't move as freely in that area.

Well, I figured it out...pool water level was too low. Filled up the pool under the cover until it was high enough and the cover came right open! Now, my next problem, and I seem to run into it every year and end up having to call someone...so now I'm being stubborn and fiercely independent. The drum that goes over the pump with the 4 cartridge filters, I can't seem to get it sealed properly over the flex hose. The hose goes around the rim, then I put the cover drum on, and I can get it over the hose on one side, but not the other. I'll get it over the other side, and then the first side comes back off...vicious cycle. Any tips or tricks??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.