Pristine Blue user. I have an issue with mineral staining

Jun 13, 2012
I'm new, so sorry if this is old news. I am a Pristine Blue user. I have an issue with mineral staining on the floor of the deep of my vinyl lined in-ground pool. Last year I used the product above (sparkle conquest) with great results. This year, did the same thing and while it seemed to fade, now after a few weeks, its just as dark as before. My water balance is spot on so its frustrating that this keeps happening. I have another bottle of Sparkle Conquest but dont want to put it in if after a couple of weeks the stains return. I contacted Pristine Blue folks and they say Pristine is copper based so using sparkle is taking out the copper and using Pristine puts it right back in. I am on city water so I do not beleive its a metal issue from topping off. Any other Pristine Blue users experience this issue and how do you resolve it? thanks Coop

Re: Pristine Blue user. I have an issue with mineral stainin

The only way to resolve it is to stop using Pristine Blue. It stains pool surfaces and bathers' hair, and doesn't sanitize the water safely. It has no real benefit except as an algaecide, and it has the drawbacks detailed above.

Pristine blue is adding metals to your water. This is what is staining your pool surfaces.

Sparkle is a sequestrant. Sequestrants normall bind to the metals and prevent them from staining, but do not remove them from the water. The sequestrant breaks down eventually, and unless you add more sequestrant, the metals get released back into the water where they can form stains again.

Ok.. get this.. This weekend I put Pristine Clean followed immediately by Pristine Extra. I walked away to put chemicals back under the deck and when I walked back, the stain was nearly gone. As I watched, the stain totally vanished. I don't know why it didnt work like this before, but it certainly worked Saturday. Maybe balance was just right for stain removing action. Now it seems as pool season is officially running smoothly. About darn time !!

I am glad to hear of another Pristine Blue user. I just bought a 52x15 above ground pool and Pristine Blue was recommended so we took it. I am hoping we made the right choice. I hope it disinfects as promised. How long have you had your pool?

POOL13107 said:
Ok.. get this.. This weekend I put Pristine Clean followed immediately by Pristine Extra. I walked away to put chemicals back under the deck and when I walked back, the stain was nearly gone. As I watched, the stain totally vanished. I don't know why it didnt work like this before, but it certainly worked Saturday. Maybe balance was just right for stain removing action. Now it seems as pool season is officially running smoothly. About darn time !!

msmusco said:
I am glad to hear of another Pristine Blue user. I just bought a 52x15 above ground pool and Pristine Blue was recommended so we took it. I am hoping we made the right choice. I hope it disinfects as promised. How long have you had your pool?
Pristine Blue does not disinfect, period. Read the label, assuming you have the newer bottles where Pristine Blue had to change what they claimed. They were in violation of strict EPA FIFRA regulations that say that a pesticide product cannot claim to kill bacteria in swimming pools unless it passes the stringent EPA DIS/TSS-12 test. Copper ions alone simply won't cut it since they do not even kill fecal bacteria (see this link for technical details).

So you have to use chlorine so why bother with the Pristine Blue? The metal ions can just end up staining plaster surfaces.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.