How often to cover above-ground pool?

Jun 13, 2012
Russellville, AR
Hi, I'm new to the boards and new to pools. Unfortunately, I found your site AFTER we had the pool up and going, so I feel like I've been playing catch up.

Anyway, we have an Intex Easy-Set 12' x 36" and a very simple vinyl cover with a drawstring. I was wondering how often I should cover the pool? Right now, I've been covering it before nighttime or leaving it covered if the pool wasn't used that day. Too much? Not enough? Does it matter?

Thanks!

Really up to you and may depend where you live. Pluses on leaving it covered are: less of a chlorine drop from the sun, a bit less debris in the pool, heat is kept in. Minuses- pump does a better job cleaning when it's off and it's easier to jump in. :-D

I'm trying to get my pool temp up to 80 so I leave the cover on unless swimming. Once there I will adjust to maintain that temp and not get too high. This may mean only cover at night or only cover during the day (to not lose chlorine) or never cover. I'll have to try things as I go because every year is different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.