Are Pool Buyers Too Picky?

tagprod

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2007
Tomball, Texas
I was reading another forum where a lady was talking about how hard it was to settle on a builder. She's consulted with 6 builders or so. It could be that her concerns are legit, but I know all these PB's here in Houston use the same subs a lot of the time. Unless she's consorting with real rapscallions (and from the builders listed, she's not) I think her fears are unfounded. I understand this is a big investment and it's prudent to be cautious, but I think it's overkill.

EskimoPie said:
I think you need to point us to the forum so we can ridicule her personally!

I'm not trying to ridicule her or I would! :twisted: I just sometimes read stuff from pool owners that makes me think they're a little "out of touch" on some issues. Can't really say I get that impression from anyone here. This is more of a "do it yourself" crowd.

Maybe there's more to the story but in general this is IMHO...

Is there such a thing as too picky when you're spending that kind of time/money on an investment of this sort? I don't think so. Having a PB you can count on and trust is a huge part of the whole experience. Read through these forums and you can see some people have some horror stories which may or may not relate specifically to the PB. The PB might not be doing all the work - but he's orchestrating it and a huge part of the process, correct?

Any major investment we make should involve research, interviewing and time before feeling confident in our decisions IMO. Personally I commend the lady that took the time to look around and make sure she's making an educated decision. Even if her concerns aren't founded, what's important is that she's happy & comfortable - and that's going to be best not only for her but for the PB as well.

katkami said:
Maybe there's more to the story but in general this is IMHO...

Is there such a thing as too picky when you're spending that kind of time/money on an investment of this sort? I don't think so. Having a PB you can count on and trust is a huge part of the whole experience. Read through these forums and you can see some people have some horror stories which may or may not relate specifically to the PB. The PB might not be doing all the work - but he's orchestrating it and a huge part of the process, correct?

Any major investment we make should involve research, interviewing and time before feeling confident in our decisions IMO. Personally I commend the lady that took the time to look around and make sure she's making an educated decision. Even if her concerns aren't founded, what's important is that she's happy & comfortable - and that's going to be best not only for her but for the PB as well.
I agree 1000% !

I think there are business arrangements where a good product is produced at a fair price. There are too many builders in houston for one company to get too out of line on price. Quality is the x factor. If someone is really picky and they found a builder that met all of their qualifications but he's a few thousand higher - they should go with them. By this posters own admission, this was the only builder that met her approval.

Even if you do all the research, there's no guarantee that you're going to be all smiles with the end product.

tagprod said:
I was reading another forum where a lady was talking about how hard it was to settle on a builder. She's consulted with 6 builders or so. It could be that her concerns are legit, but I know all these PB's here in Houston use the same subs a lot of the time. Unless she's consorting with real rapscallions (and from the builders listed, she's not) I think her fears are unfounded. I understand this is a big investment and it's prudent to be cautious, but I think it's overkill.

She must have come across my build thread! :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.