11% Chlorine + brass corrosion

a34536

May 30, 2011
Dorset, UK
I installed a DIY peristaltic pump, and have had problems finding stainless or plastic fittings that wouldn't corrode.

In the mean time I'm using these fittings (6mm to 4mm adaptors). They look as though they are made from brass, and are corroding inside, as expected.

http://www.aerohydraulics.com/p-straigh ... 72158.aspx

I have 2 questions.

1. What is the corrosion adding to my pool, and should I worry about it?

2. The chlorine is pumped through at 100ml per minute. Is the strength of the chlorine likely to be significantly reduced by reacting with the metal as it is pumped through? I ask this as I seem to be needing much more chlorine per day than I expected. I am however shocking the pool at the moment, so that might change once the shocking process is finished.

Thanks!

The amount of metal added to the water is more or less insignificant, and likewise the effect on the bleach is more or less insignificant. However, it would be best to replace the fitting with something else if possible, as it will fail eventually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.