Proper steps to clearing up pool

joe111

Jun 13, 2012
burlington, Ontario
Hello everyone! I am new to pools so bare with me.

I have an algae problem and I have been reading a lot on here and in the process of ordering a TF-100 kit so that I properly measure my pool.

in the mean time what could I do?

vacuum to waste then add liquid chlorine and them scrub. Just looking for the proper procedure.

Also how long should i be running my sand filter fpr? (16*32 pool size 1hp pump). I've be told to run it for 8 hours at night is that long enough? should I be running it during the day as well?

I look forward to learning and having a clear pool.

Thank you in advance
Joe

Welcome to TFP!

Run your filter 24/7 while you are having the algae problem. Normally you just go with what works. 8 hours is a good starting point, but you may need to adjust depending on your equipment and usage of the pool.

Before anything else, you need to know your CYA level to determine your appropriate shock level. If you aren't currently shocking the pool, you can go ahead and adjust the pH and stock up on liquid chlorine or bleach. If you want to get started, you can roughly measure high chlorine levels with a basic test kit by diluting the pool water sample with distilled water. For example, using 3 parts distilled to one part pool water and multiplying the reading by 4 will extend the range of most basic kits to 20ppm FC. If you need to go higher, use a higher rate of dilution and appropriate multiplier.

The key to killing the algae is getting the chlorine to the appropriate shock level, and then keeping it there. It may take hourly chlorine tests and additions for the first several hours.

Thank you JohnT!

I have order the kit and it will take approximately a week to get as I live in canada. In the mean time I will use our basic kit with distilled water to measure the high chlorine levels but i am not sure what I will be comparing it too the kit i have now I drop 5 drops of i forget the chemical and compare it to the color chart. Sorry for my lack of information. should use the pool calculator for help?

Also while shocking the pool with liquid chlorine should I be vacuuming the waste on the bottom or just wait till that clears up? as well scrub the pool daily?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help a newb.

Cheers
Joe

So i finally received my kit. Thank you PO Box in the states.
Here are my stats:
FC= 5.5
CC= 1
TC=6.5
TA=80
CYA= 30
PH=7

So last night i added too much chlorine and now my FC=32 I know for shocking it should be 12. But it was late and being ignorant i just dump a bunch in.
now I know i need to lower it but will it still do what it needs to do to get rid of the algae.

Please advise
Thank you
Joe

joe111 said:
So i finally received my kit. Thank you PO Box in the states.
Here are my stats:
FC= 5.5
CC= 1
TC=6.5
TA=80
CYA= 30
PH=7

So last night i added too much chlorine and now my FC=32 I know for shocking it should be 12. But it was late and being ignorant i just dump a bunch in.
now I know i need to lower it but will it still do what it needs to do to get rid of the algae.

Please advise
Thank you
Joe
Well....brush the walls and floor, same as usual.

Test the FC every couple hours and when it dips below 13, add more. But try measuring it and use what Pool Calculator says to use. If the doctor prescribed medication for you telling you to take 2/day for a week, would you eat them all at once? Well, then, don't overdose your pool! The higher the FC, the more you lose to sunlight, so a lot of that massive dose you dumped in was wasted.

joe111 said:
is it okay to swim in it when the chlorine levels are high? I just got a txt that my sisters are swimming in the pool...

thanks in advance
Joe
It's safe to swim up to shock level. Hopefully your FC went down from killing algae, otherwise they will probably end up with red eyes and white bathing suits.

At least the water will be well mixed....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.