Proper Shock Level

Jun 13, 2012
How do you test to make sure you have added the recommended amount of chlorine/bleach to get to the proper shock level in your charts. I understand the shock level is based on CYA levels, but The test kits I've used only display to 5ppm? If I need to get to 15 PPM how do I know if I got there and test to maintain it.

Kim

Okay that answers that, Thanks. I'm finding myself in a block situation where I can't keep chlorine in the pool. Shock at night, nothing in the pool the next day. Found you guys while looking for answers. My pool was a green mess when I opened last month. Got it looking sparkling, everything seemed fine then all of a sudden no chlorine. Shocked a couple times but not getting anywhere. I need some test results, so will try to get the Leslie FAS-DPD kit tonight so I can see where the CYA is at and I can get started. PH keeps dropping so I turned of the chlorinator, because someone on here said that would happen if I was using 3" pucks. I will be in touch tonight if I can get the kit. If they don't have one, maybe I will get a water test just to get an idea where i am at.

muvo1212 said:
Will the leslie FAS-DPD kit test to 50 ppm?
Thanks

Kim

Yes, but they seldom stock them in the stores. If you can't find it in a store, TF-100 shipping is really fast, and you should have it in a couple of days if you order today.

Ok, I ordered the TF-100 and should see it in a couple days. My real problem is a pool that won't maintain chlorine. I started this spring with a real green pool and thought I had it licked until last weekend when my chlorine level went to nothing. I shocked twice 2 lbs of power powder pro each time (Saturday night & Sunday night) still nothing. The chlorinator was running the whole time at about 4.5 but no chlorine registers when tested. I assume algae must be eating up the chlorine and I assume I need to super shock but not sure where to start or how much shock to put in. Here is what I think I know. I had the water tested at 2 different places tonight.

Test 1
FC 0
TC 0
PH 7.2
TA 80
CYA 30
CH 200

Test 2 - Electronic
FC .05
TC .11
CC .06
PH 7
TA 86
CYA 35
CH 229

Both were pretty close, one was manual test, one was electronicly tested.

The pool:
-Vinyl
-18x36 (27000 gal)
-Hayward DE Filter
-1HP Super pump
-Hayward Auto Chlorinator
-2 Skimmers 2 Returns
-No main drain or bottom return

Not sure what or how much shock i will need. I have (8) 1.5 gal containers of 6% liquid bleach on hand, and 40 lbs of Power powder pro shock. I will need borax or something to raise the PH, should I shock first or deal with the ph. I guess I should wait until I have the test kit so I can track the Chlorine shock levels.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Kim

All of your numbers are reasonable except for FC. So you can wait to adjust anything until after you are able to maintain an FC level.

[shock:2ty6k5kp]Shock level for your CYA level is around 15.[/shock:2ty6k5kp]

muvo1212:

Click the Pool Calculator link in my sig. Enter the # of gallons in your pool, your chlorine source, your current FC level along with the target shock FC level according to the CYA level in your pool (see Chlorine/CYA Cart link in my sig). The Pool Calculator will tell you how much chlorine to add.

BoDarville,

That calculator works great. So glad I found this site. Now I can see how a place like Leslie's can just screw the whole thing up. Last night I was trying to get my CYA number and they didn't have the agent to test with....ran out! How does that happen at a pool supply store. She had to use a test strip. I told her of my problem and the sales person was just giving me random suggestions of how much shock to put it. My new goal is to avoid that store at all costs......I just need my test kit.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.