Opening Pool, filter drain plug wont go back in?

Apr 21, 2008
Hey guys,

I am just trying to get my pool open and clear the water up but when I go to screw in my filter's drain plug it doesn't catch the threads to screw in. It's like the threads are gone on the inside of the filter and upon visual inspection there is what looks like rust in and around the drain hole. The drain plug is half threaded and half smooth so I can get the smooth part to slide up inside until the threaded part and I can sit there and attempt to screw it all day and it doesn't go in.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I am thinking that I might have to find an all smooth plug and somehow seal the hole with some kind of plumbers paste so it doesn't leak.

If anyone can help me out with suggestions that would be great, Thanks!

It is a SwimQuip sand filter, not sure of the model (label ripped on filter), but its about 4 feet high and a couple feet in diameter, and I would guess it's at least 5-10 years old.

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.