pump for large above ground

Jun 11, 2012
Greensboro NC
Hi all

New here and have been reading a lot. Just ordered a new 30' round above ground and was wondering if a 1hp pump would be enough. Most of the pool sizes I could find in searches were smaller, so would a 2 speed 1hp pump be sufficient as well as efficient for 20,000 gallons? I was thinking about a 24" sand filter too. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Robert

Thanks,
I see a few above ground pools using in-ground pool pumps/filters and was wondering if there was any benefit to these. Since I am doing this from scratch,I would be willing to spend more up front on the better equipment if it saves electric/repair costs later on. My power is around 11 cents per K watt. Is the in ground equipment really better?

Thank you
Robert

In-ground pumps are designed to work with long plumbing runs and tend to be inefficient when running on systems with short plumbing runs. As long as your pump is below water level and the plumbing runs are not too long (say under 20 feet) stick with an above ground pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.