considering building a pool

momz

Jun 12, 2012
We are located in Indianapolis and are considering an inground pool. We live in a HOA on a cul de sac with a pie-shaped lot, about 1/3 of an acre. With a retention pond/community space bordering the back. We have scheduled consultations with 2 local builders. (would appreciate any recommendations as well)

I have been looking through the forums here to glean what information I can so that when we meet with the consultants, I will have some idea of what to ask.

We haven't decided between vinyl or fiberglass, but are leaning towards a small kidney-shaped pool. Of course we will be concerned about pool placement within our lot. Also, our HOA does not allow out buildings, so I am concerned about placement of the pump and filter.

So, some initial questions...

Where in relation to the pool and the house should the pump and filter be placed?
Does the type of pool (vinyl vs fiberglass) have a bearing on the type of pump/filter?
With a smallish pool, how much horse power for the pump?
Central Indiana has very hard water, lots of limestone around here, however, we are on city water, and the pool may be filled from the fire hydrant. How will this affect our pool water?
I am concerned about metals in the water, how can I guard against this?
Kids are school age and are good swimmers, but there are a lot of kids in the neighborhood. We currently have a fence, but it is only 4 feet high (HOA says being on a pond, 4 feet is the highest we are allowed). What are our options concerning safety?
What else should I be considering?

Thanks for any advice. I'm sure I'll need more.

momz said:
Where in relation to the pool and the house should the pump and filter be placed?
Does the type of pool (vinyl vs fiberglass) have a bearing on the type of pump/filter?
With a smallish pool, how much horse power for the pump?
Central Indiana has very hard water, lots of limestone around here, however, we are on city water, and the pool may be filled from the fire hydrant. How will this affect our pool water?
I am concerned about metals in the water, how can I guard against this?
Kids are school age and are good swimmers, but there are a lot of kids in the neighborhood. We currently have a fence, but it is only 4 feet high (HOA says being on a pond, 4 feet is the highest we are allowed). What are our options concerning safety?
What else should I be considering?

Welcome to TFP!

You may be able to build a screen or something similar to block the filter from view and reduce noise. You have to get both electricity and pool plumbing to the filter area. If you have any kind of slope, you can sometimes build a deck that will have room underneath for the equipment. It's a building that isn't a building.

You will need someplace to store your chemicals and cleaning equipment that has easy access to the pool, and kids will make a steady trail to your bathroom while swimming. Those are the reasons we built a poolhouse. Since you don't have that option, you may want to consider location based on what doors you have available, and maybe even consider something like a half bath with an outside door in a garage or laundry room if it is feasible.

Pool material won't matter on the filter or pump. I have a 21,000 gallon IG and a 1HP pump is plenty. You may be able to go smaller, or go with a 2-speed or variable speed for electrical savings. Go with as large of a filter as you can reasonably use. That will give you less frequent filter cleanings.

Your water shouldn't have enough calcium in it to be an issue. Have the pool builders test it for calcium hardness and TA to know where you will be.

Metals in the water are fairly low in treated water. If you don't use any kind of ionizer or copper algaecide, you shouldn't have any issues.

A BOCA pool fence is a good idea. It is designed to be difficult to climb. Equip any gates with childproof latches and locks. Equip your back door with an alarm. An automatic cover is a great idea, as it allows you to avoid the headache of a solar cover and it provides safety. That limits your pool shape options though.

Although your siting options may be limited, you want the pool in a location that gets as much direct sunlight as possible this time of year. Shaded water stays cold!

Make 100% sure that whoever does the electrical work on your pool is experienced with pools. Bonding, particularly the concrete in a deck, causes many problems which are easily avoided during construction but difficult to fix afterwards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.