How much Borax?

May 30, 2012
Allentown, PA
I have a 20,000 gallon pool and just started adding borax 20 mule to the pool to help raise ph. I do not have any borate testing strips, but was wondering how many 4lbs. 12oz boxes of borax I can add per season (June - sept.15) and still be in the acceptable range for borate? I'm sure someone knows the answer to this. Thanks for your help.

So the borate stays in the water through the winter?

I read about how to add borates to help keep your pool balanced, but it seems like a lot of money for a pool that is open for 4 months. However, if I raise the borate level this year it will be in the same range next year when I open the pool more or less?

How would you recommend that I raise the PH? Add 8 boxes this season then move to using PH+, Do the full borates treatment this season, or use aeration + ph+ when needed. Thanks for your suggestions, I'm still a noobie.

Yes, borates stay in the water. The borate level only goes down when you lose water, for example from backwashing or winterizing, or splash out.

Why are you raising the PH so much? If you are using trichlor tablets it is better to raise the PH with soda ash. Other than that, there shouldn't be any reason to raise the PH even remotely close to that much.

Borates are optional. If the cost bothers you then simply ignore borates.

Jasonlion,
I am not using trichlor tablets. I have switched over to bleach for shock. I have just switched over to bleach last week and I'm trying to get used to it. I have to increase PH every time it rains. I understand that PH should normally rise on its own, Correct? I have just started using a decent test kit K2006, so perhaps last year I was raising ph and lowering ph often due to the fact that I was going by the results to my test strips which are inaccurate. I'm thinking about continuing to add borax as needed this season, but not going over 8 boxes. Then switching over to PH+ once I have established some form of a borate level. Does this make sense? Thanks for your advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.