Getting frustrated - new comer

Cheers Bamba, I went out and balanced the valve anyway, it's now tightly in place, the cat and dog were at it the other day and one of them caught the hose... off it came, so now this should help for the meantime until I build a new walkway/siding for this pool that will also included a fitting to the valves to keep them secure... these b adapters aint the best things... i'll have to take some before and after pics of the new project...

:lol: K2006 test kit just arrived, taken the full testing and here are the results....

CYA - 55
FC - 32
CC - 14
PH - 8.0
TH - 120
TA - 500
saturation level at 1.0 with current test readings...

What is the next step here to clear this milky blue colour... i'll go read some of the threads to see if I can find out and I will try again to use the poolcalc....

I think you made an error on your chlorine test. Make sure you do the 10ml test, and use the .5 per drop number. I seriously doubt you have CC of 14.

Your TA is way high.
pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

Check your TA testing here to make sure you did the test correctly:
extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Also, your pH is way too high. It could even be over 8. So get some muriatic acid in there PRONTO. Use poolcalculator.com to figure out how much.

The combination of high pH and high TA is probably your problem. And I'm guessing your CH is out of range, making the problem worse. But, don't worry too much about the CH number now other than making sure we know where it is.

Get a CH number up, please.

RobbieH said:
I think you made an error on your chlorine test. Make sure you do the 10ml test, and use the .5 per drop number. I seriously doubt you have CC of 14.

Your TA is way high.
pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

Check your TA testing here to make sure you did the test correctly:
extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Also, your pH is way too high. It could even be over 8. So get some muriatic acid in there PRONTO. Use poolcalculator.com to figure out how much.

The combination of high pH and high TA is probably your problem. And I'm guessing your CH is out of range, making the problem worse. But, don't worry too much about the CH number now other than making sure we know where it is.

Get a CH number up, please.

I said to the wife that I think I made a mistake with the CC test, I made a note in the pad but think I may have the looked at the wrong number... will re-take the test after tea.

I have been on the poolcalc and made a note of everything I need to go buy, again i'll go to lowes after tea and pick some muriatic acid.

as for the TA now this test has been showing high off the charts with all the hth tests Ihave been taking before k2006 came in today... on the hth I used over 100 drops and the test colour was dirty looking, took the new test with the anticipation of a high reading and done the 10ml test... it took 20 drops, went slight pinky colour.. so times that by 25 gives 500... i'll retest again.

I thought that my CH is ok at 120, is this the same as TH sorry... thank you so much for your reply, I asked bamba if I needed to buy some acid yesterday and he/she said they thought not...as I am shocking the pool to rid it of the milky algae?

feel stupid now, re-test shows
FC - 30
CC - 1
TA - 325 <10%> as used 13 drops x 25 at 10ml test.
CH -120
PH - 8.0

I will buy some acid in the morning now. where can I buy some Calcium chloride from and what do I use as a stabilzer pref a liquid one? please anyone?

also after I put some acid in the pool and the aerate when is the best time to then add the calcium and stabilzer?

Don't worry about the pH. It's artificially high due to the FC.

The good news is that you're above shock level so you don't need to add more chlorine until it comes down to shock level for your CYA. Keep the filter running until it's clear.

Bama Rambler said:
Don't worry about the pH. It's artificially high due to the FC.

The good news is that you're above shock level so you don't need to add more chlorine until it comes down to shock level for your CYA. Keep the filter running until it's clear.

what about the acid to bring down the alk? I put all my data into the pool calc under the SWG to get recommended levels and I need to add acid and stabilzer, bring down ph and alk level and raise the cya to bring everything to rec. level, is this correct at this stage or I am to continue shocking above or as near to the current cya shock level until the water changes colour then bring everything in line and turn on the SWG?

britishexpat said:
I am to continue shocking above or as near to the current cya shock level until the water changes colour then bring everything in line and turn on the SWG?
Not to step on toes... britishexpat... I would concentrate on completing the shock process and wouldn't worry about any of the other tests until either the process is completed or someone like Zea, Bama, or Isaac-1 asks for the numbers.
-wc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
britishexpat said:
My wife said that is where her tribe of indians are from, or so she thinks....lol

Could be, my great-great-grandmother was Choctaw and she grew up about 15 miles west of here.

As to the pool, concentrate on shocking for now, the pH test will read high at elevated chlorine levels which will through off any correction estimation you need to do. (Don't trust your pH test until your FC drops below about 10-15 ppm), the TA and CYA are just fine tuning, so hold off on those for now. TA can take considerable time to adjust, and is an ongoing battle, but is manageable. You may want to do an OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test) to see if you still have something consuming in your water consuming chlorine, or if everything is dead and you just need to filter it out. Simply test your chlorine level tonight from when it gets dark until before sunrise in the morning and see if your CC is below .5, and if you have lost more than .5 FC during the night.

Ike

Don't worry about the rest of the tests right now. Your shock level for a CYA of 55 is about 20 ppm FC. Do your best to keep it there and if you want to run the OCLT tonight, that's fine. You won't be done shocking until the water is clear, but you'll at least know whether all you lack is filtering everything out.

Thanks very much everyone, I was going to got all the way to lowes today which is about 20miles away to get some acid, but I have a swollen knee that feels like it is about to give in on me...I'm 38 and falling apart.. this now saves me a journey today, i'll keep changing the filters and i'll get the mrs to go and brush and hoover out the pool today... the pool water appears to looking cleaner and slightly changing to a blue compared to the milky green as of late... I do have a request if any of you good folk can help me with, I am going to build a new deck around this pool and I would like to add brown "seat"ledges to the top of the pool surround, can I get these for this pool or are they only available for the certain frames? it would look good and be more safer to use plastic rather than deck at the top edge frame of the pool??? I am not to sure what they call them over here, us brits have a different way of naming certain things which has an effect on me finding stuff on the net?

britishexpat said:
... I have a swollen knee that feels like it is about to give in on me...I'm 38 and falling apart... <...> brown "seat"ledges to the top of the pool surround, can I get these for this pool or are they only available for the certain frames? <...> I am not to sure what they call them over here, us brits have a different way of naming certain things which has an effect on me finding stuff on the net?

Ouch, I understand your pain, tore some things up in my knees as a kid - didn't bother me as much then; however, would love not to be able to tell when the rain and storms are coming my way :(

If you can find a post a link to what you're after... do a search using the name you normally would... if you hit on it then post the link back here as I'm sure someone will be able to rename the item.

-wc

wetchem said:
britishexpat said:
... I have a swollen knee that feels like it is about to give in on me...I'm 38 and falling apart... <...> brown "seat"ledges to the top of the pool surround, can I get these for this pool or are they only available for the certain frames? <...> I am not to sure what they call them over here, us brits have a different way of naming certain things which has an effect on me finding stuff on the net?

Ouch, I understand your pain, tore some things up in my knees as a kid - didn't bother me as much then; however, would love not to be able to tell when the rain and storms are coming my way :(

If you can find a post a link to what you're after... do a search using the name you normally would... if you hit on it then post the link back here as I'm sure someone will be able to rename the item.

-wc

well my knee is all wrapped up now... hope it works, like you I injured it as a kid but from playing a lot of soccer in the uk.. need this pool up and running now to help with it I guess.

I know what the product is I am after just dont know what they are called here, it the top ledge rail that goes all the way around the pool. I have seen some folks designs and upgrades on their pools and just wanting to know if it would fit onto mine allbeit mine is a smaller framed pool. it is not a big problem i'll just do the decking there and smooth the edges round. what I am looking for would give the appearance of a custom built higher end pool when finsished.

Those are the top rails and caps for the permanent above ground pools. I don't know if there is something like that you can use on an intex frame or not. You might try seeing if you can locate some used parts to experiment with.

zea3 said:
Those are the top rails and caps for the permanent above ground pools. I don't know if there is something like that you can use on an intex frame or not. You might try seeing if you can locate some used parts to experiment with.

I'll keep looking for something similar to use, I have a few other ideas, just wanted to know what this type of rail cost etc...

but anyway for now, must concentrate on the pool clearing up, will do some tests 1st thing in the morning and do the overnight test tomorrow to!

Missed a day of testing yesterday due to my knee giving me problems... able to walk a little but today and took tests at 8pm cst... it has been very hot here today and with not testing to check - lost my shock level, now added 92oz bleach as indicted on PSCalc. re-test taken this morning after adding bleach last night in red.

FC - 14 22
CC - 1
PH - 7.9
TA - 350
CH - 125
CYA - 90 50 don't understand how it was at 90 last n
will re take the pool calc now, is there anything I need to buy today from lowes other more than acid?

9pm test taken for
FC - 17 (SUGGESTED SHOCK 16)
CYA - 50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.