I usually have to siphon water out

Jun 12, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Hi everyone...I'm new at this ag ground pool stuff..so here goes...living in Florida, especially during the rainy season...I usually have to siphon water out. It fills to the brim. This past week we had nothing but rain down here, something about a "front' moving in. Wow...so much water everywhere and my pool looks like it was going to burp. It's pretty much back to normal and down to a lower level, but when that rainy season picks up, guess I'll be siphoning again..but is it really necessary?

I would. So would he.

If you let it overflow, it's always going to go out the same spot - the low point. (Nothing is ever perfectly level) And soften up the ground in that spot, which may make it sink. If it sinks enough, it could start buckling and collapse. Or wash out a support, which will bend, and you can guess the rest.

If you want to empty it quick, use a pool vacuum hose. Feed it in slowly and let it fill up. Then cap it with your hand and haul it out fast and get the outside end below the water level as quickly as you can. Once the siphon starts, you can pull more hose out of the pool and drag the wet end where you want it.

Thank you for the advice. I do have a lower end in my pool..about an inch lower...I keep an eye on that part of the pool for the reason you mentioned here...seems to be holding up well so far. My pool vacuum is that standard one that comes with the pool that attaches to a garden hose unfortunately...I use that (the garden hose) to siphon the water out..but it does take longer..I'll be getting a new vacuum with one of those larger hoses and I'll use that...thanks again...

Not having an above ground pool... not sure how easy this would be. Put a hole in the wall just above where you want the water level, put a sealed thru wall bulkhead fitting, add a drain pipe to outside to drain well away from the pool.

Wish I trusted myself enough to do that...with my luck I'll put a hole in the lining and the whole thing would be like a tsunami...just keep tearing and flooding lol. Maybe if it was empty..much safer. But I can see how that would be a fail-safe if I knew how to do that...I'd never have to worry about and "over-filled" pool. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.