How long should I run my filter?

Jun 5, 2012
I own a intex Krystal clear 1600gal/hr sand filter and was wondering how long to run it in cycles. I run it for 2hrs at night when adding chemicals and run it for 4 hrs during the day. Is this long enough? Or should I run it longer/shorter. My intex pool is 3800 gallons. Input?

Jeffacdc85:

Assuming your water is in good shape (no algae or other obvious water clarity problem), start with a pump run time that is higher than you think you need and get the water really sparkling. Then gradually reduce the pump time in increments every few days. If the water begins to lose it's clarity, then increase the time to the previous setting and see if the sparkle returns. If it does, then you have found your sweet spot. If not, increase the run time another notch until the sparkle returns. During this process, it would help to keep a log of the run time and note the date and amount of each run time reduction. At a minimum, you should aim for a run time that provides one turnover of all the water in the pool. This is the process I followed on my pool and I can tell that the screws holding the drain cover in place 10 feet down are Phillips head.

Even after finding your sweet spot, there will be times you will need to temporarily increase the pump run time such as after a heavy rain or high bather load, so just be aware of that.

For further reading, here's a Pool School article: Determine Pump Run Time

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.