So-So Test Results - Any Thoughts for Newbie

May 9, 2012
Longwood, FL
I did some testing tonight and wanted to post my results just to see if any of the experts can point me in the right direction. I used the pool calculator with my results and have an idea of what to do but trying to build some confidence based on feedback from the board. My main concern based on the Balancing for SWG article in pool school is the CYA level being so low, calculator says to add 47oz, I have added about 3.14lbs since I set the pool up about a month ago. The second concern is the TA level, it is much higher than the recommended range for SWG. Pool school indicates I need to lower ph to 7.2 and then aerate to get TA down (how do you aerate). Also, my FC number is low, do I need to run my SWG for a longer time (currently running for 3 hours in the morning 7am to 10am). I've added 240lbs of salt thus far.

Here are my results:

Salt = 2890

pH = 7.8

Cl = 0.5

TA = 180

CH = 150

CYA = 25

What does your SWG think the salt level is? You may need to bump that up.

Your FC is too low ... it needs to be at least 2ppm for non-SWG pools ... and to be safe you should do that. You should supplement with bleach until the FC stabilizes after getting the CYA up.

The SWG may be working fine, but with the low CYA, the sun is likely burning most of it up ... although 3 hours seems pretty short (what % setting is it on?)

Step 1: Get the FC up with bleach
Step 2: Get the CYA level up to 70ish {the three lbs should have raised it up around 50ppm ... so the 25ppm is odd}
Step 3: Verify the salt level and dial in the SWG
Step 4: Work on lowering the TA ... aerating is done by the SWG, but you can help with water features, splashing, aiming the jets up, etc

spurs21stx:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Most SWG pools operate best with a CYA of between 60 and 80 (click Chlorine / CYA Chart link in my signature below). So I would first focus on increasing the CYA to somewhere in that range. In the interim, you can supplement your FC with liquid bleach until you get your CYA up.

As for lowering TA, you can being by aiming the return jets up, the idea being to get some of the water to break the surface and make contact with the air. For more ideas, try doing a search on "aeration". I seem to remember reading previous posts on that subject here on TFP.

Thanks for the responses. I will get my FC up with bleach and add some stabilizer to get up CYA, will wait to work on TA once I get those two in line.

As far as I can tell the Intex SWG does not give any readings on salt level (only a code for low salt and high salt). I used a test strip to measure the salt. I based the run time the recommendations from the manual that came with the SWG for my pool size. Not sure what you mean by %, I just set the hours for it to run...I assume it is working at 100%.

spurs21stx said:
Not sure what you mean by %, I just set the hours for it to run...I assume it is working at 100%.

I am not familiar with your SWG, so maybe they are more basic and do not have a % setting.

Sounds like you have a good plan :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.