Best Way To Test Chlorine Daily

MisterMister

LifeTime Supporter
Hello,

What is the generally accepted best way of testing chlorine on a daily (or two) basis?

I have the TF kit, which I love. The chlorine test portion of that kit is great and easy to use. Is that what most people use on on daily basis? In that kit is a sub-kit, believe a Taylor 1000 kit for testing chlorine and PH on a regular basis. The PH side is fine. My problem is with the chlorine side of the test. I find it VERY DIFFICULT to differentiate the shades of yellow. Is there a better way to test chlorine daily? Should I just just the TF chlorine test, which is fine. It just take a couple minutes longer. Is there another test that I'm not aware of for the "regular" testing of chlorine?

As usual, great forum. And thanks for all of the help.

Mister Mister

I, too, have the TF kit and find the Taylor daily chlorine test very hard to differentiate between. I don't even use the chlorine part now, just the pH side. I just use the TF drop test for the chlorine. I want to keep a very accurate record so I don't start getting any problems and I just can't do it with the Taylor test. I have a SWG and usually test chlorine daily ar at the very longest every 2 days, which is not very often for me to go that long.

Thanks Sarah,

Yes, I'm a new user of a SWG and trying to come to an understanding with it on how hard it needs to work. I'm had it on only for a week or so. So I am testing daily, which is very easy with the drop test, which is great. A clear defined color change. I think I may have to use your approach to use the Taylor test for PH, and the TF drop test for FC. I can do that. I was just curious if poolers were maybe using a different daily FC test. Party on.

Mister Mister

The best advice I can give is to perform the test in indirect sunlight with a white card as the background. Some people just have an easier time distinguishing the colors, but most folks have a harder time with the pH test. I personally do the color matching test daily, and the drop test on Saturday mornings.

After three years of running this pool, I pretty much know what to expect so I generally don't test more than once per week and sometimes every other week. With a SWG, the chlorine levels are fairly predictable unless something unique occurs. Pool party, heavy rain, etc. can throw things off so that is when I test more often. Every pool has unique conditions so you may have to test more often but you will soon learn what to expect and how quickly things change.

I too have found that I just get a feel for my pool after a while of testing and just begin to add the approximate amount of bleach that I use per day. I will still test, daily, every other day, or maybe every third day. Rarely will I go a week without testing.

Being a newbie pool owner... I test almost daily. I use the ColorQ for daily testing and the TF100 for weekly testing.

I too can't tell the differance in colors with the CL/PH. I really like the drop test tho.

Yes, I understand the concept of testing FC every few days, or week or so, after you learn what to expect. No problem with that. But in my situation, I have a newly installed SWG, and we are trying to get to know each other. I'm sure I'll reach the point where FC testing will become a little less regular.

MisterMister... You are doing the right thing by testing daily you will learn your pool much faster and see exactly what your pool is doing. I test every day (ph&cl) It is the best way to see what is going on and to be able to correct it quickly. :)

I use the full FAS-DPD test every day when calibrating the SWG percentage. Other than that I use the simple OTO (shades of yellow) test for much of the rest of the season as a quick confirmation that there is chlorine in the water, without trying to pin down the exact amount. Generally, to know that something is going wrong with a SWG you don't need precision, you just need to know if there is chlorine or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
basically the OTO test is for a quick check whether there is chlorine in the pool or not. If it's yellow you are good to go. If it's pale yellow or clear you need chlorine, break out the big kit and see how much you need. If it's orange or brown your chlorine is too high, break out the big kit again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.