How to clean algae off solar cover?

dd621

May 19, 2012
I have been fighting algae for the last five days and would love some help! CYA is 40 and FC was allowed to drop to 1.5 (ooops!). Took off the solar cover and there was some (not a lot) of green debris in the low areas of the pool. The water is dull and when it's stirred up it is slightly cloudy. I've decided it's mustard algae (after watching the youtube video and seeing very little improvement after several days of vacuuming and maintaining FC 15.) So - I'm about to take FC up to 24 and hold it there.

We rolled the solar cover up on the reel and laid it over a couple of saw horses five days ago. Meanwhile, I've been shocking the pool to FC 15. I had the kids help me move the solar cover yesterday so I could mow the lawn, and green water poured out. Eeeeww!

My question is this: Should I put the solar cover back on while shocking to 24 and try to sanitize it by somehow getting it under the water? I hate to introduce more algae to the pool, but I don't know how else to clean it, as it is 30' diameter and I don't want to cook the lawn or kill the lawn with bleach! Suggestions?

It will set you back if you put an algae laden solar cover on the pool. The best thing would be to hose it off well, and use a pump up sprayer to spray it down with a shock level mixture of water and bleach. Rinse off the cover and then you can put it on the pool to slow down some of the FC use, or let it dry in the sun and roll it back up.

That method sounds like it would be great for the pool and the solar cover. Should I be concerned about chlorine levels of FC 24 killing the grass? Actually, since there will be no CYA on the solar cover - what FC level should I use to clean it - FC 12?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.