Automatic Pool Cover issues

May 19, 2010
Evansville, IN
We have an Undertrack Automatic Pool cover. Last year the rope pulley broke and our pool installer fixed the problem after several days. Yesterday I heard a noise while I closed the pool. Today I opened the pool cover only a few feet and tried to close it. Only one side of the cover would close. The rope pulley was broken again. Our pool is less than 2 yrs old. I always keep a pump on the cover when it is closed. I called the pool installer again and am awaiting a call back. I am hoping it is covered under the warranty. Last year my neighbor also had their rope pulley break within a few days of ours breaking and they had to pay several hundred to have it repaired. Has anyone had issues with their Automatic Pool Cover?

I'm sorry. It is the rope that keeps breaking. I spoke with Automatic Pool Covers INC yesterday and they said critters can get in the box and chew on the rope. I looked at the rope both times and there is no evidence of chewing. They said it could be a poor install. It looks as if the rope is rubbing on something and the rope is getting frayed. The rest of the rope looks fine. I called the pool installer yesterday and of course they said they would call me back. Haven't heard back from them. Poor support.

sd72667 said:
I'm sorry. It is the rope that keeps breaking. I spoke with Automatic Pool Covers INC yesterday and they said critters can get in the box and chew on the rope. I looked at the rope both times and there is no evidence of chewing. They said it could be a poor install. It looks as if the rope is rubbing on something and the rope is getting frayed. The rest of the rope looks fine. I called the pool installer yesterday and of course they said they would call me back. Haven't heard back from them. Poor support.

When i was researching autocovers, one of the biggest complaints i read about was customers upset with autocover service people blaming broken ropes on rodents "chewing through the ropes".

This complaint is so prevalent on the web i almost didn't get a cover.

When ours was being installed i talked to the installers about that and they laughed. The owner of the pool cover store who sold us the cover through my pool builder came by to visit and check on the final install, i asked him about that and he laughed too. Not to say it doesn't happen, i mean rats have to eat don't they?

That said, i was instructed to either do maintenance or pay them to once a year. That included spraying out the tracks the cover slides in to prevent a build up of debris that the ropes would rub on/get dirty on. Have you been doing that?

It would be nice to have the pit cover off and watch the cover open and close a few times and see if the rope is contacting anything it isn't supposed to be. If it is then maybe it really is a "bad install". You would think it could be adjusted.

I also found a lot of threads about people using this Kevlar yacht rope to replace the ropes themselves, i'm sure you could find them just search.

I was not offered any "maintenance" programs. I'll call around after it is repaired and check prices. I asked the manufacturer about the rope and if there is a better solution. Of course I got the "we use the best products available" bit. I will observe the pool co. when they repair it and make sure it is a smooth run through the pulleys.

sd72667 said:
I was not offered any "maintenance" programs. I'll call around after it is repaired and check prices. I asked the manufacturer about the rope and if there is a better solution. Of course I got the "we use the best products available" bit. I will observe the pool co. when they repair it and make sure it is a smooth run through the pulleys.

Here was the once a year maintenance recommendation from the owner...

For +- $3?? they would come out and ....
1) Clean out cover tracks with water hose
2) Spray proprietary cleaner (told me i could use any citrus based cleaner from HD) all over cover and use pool brush to scrub cover. Rinse and use pool cover pump to discharge water into pit drain. Wrap towel(s) around pool brush and dry cover. Spray down cover with proprietary protector (told me i could use 303 Protectant).
3) Remove Pit cover and clean pit and vacuum it.
4) Grease few spots/fittings that need grease
5) Adjust rope(s) or anything else if needed.

Thanks, I can do all of those items. I already open and close my pool. Just basic preventative maintenance. I already make sure the pit cover is empy of debris. I will read the manual and grease the fittings and etc... My pool installer has to order the rope. :x Is there a special "Wonder Woman" rope they are using? I'm sure any hardware store has the rope. It will be a week before they are out to fix it. Thanks for the replies.

sd72667 said:
Thanks, I can do all of those items. I already open and close my pool. Just basic preventative maintenance. I already make sure the pit cover is empy of debris. I will read the manual and grease the fittings and etc... My pool installer has to order the rope. :x Is there a special "Wonder Woman" rope they are using? I'm sure any hardware store has the rope. It will be a week before they are out to fix it. Thanks for the replies.

Did you say exactly what brand cover you have?

It is my understanding that they do indeed use a special "Wonder Woman" type rope. In fact the manufacturer of the cover i bought developed some brand new super duper rope in 2011 :hammer: here is a marketing quote http://coverstarcentral.com/pdf/newslet ... y_2011.pdf

"PowerFlex Rope
PowerFlex rope is the next generation in autocover
rope technology. As a result of a proprietary
treatment process, PowerFlex rope behaves like a
shock absorber. This allows the rope to be more
forgiving and self adjusting during operation. Our
new and improved rope also resists stretching and
distortion common with autocover ropes.  PowerFlex
Rope is easier to install and operate with fewer
adjustments. The new PowerFlex ropes are black
which blends into the track.   A special coating adds
lubricity to minimize friction along the track."

SURE SOUNDS LIKE SPECIAL ROPE TO ME!!!!

In all seriousness what i've found on the web about DIY'ers fixing the ropes themselves is that they get this special Kevlar rope used in Yachting that works good (but not with a Salt water pool apparently). here is some reading http://x.havuz.org/viewtopic.php?p=30970

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.